HD24 High-Def modes

cpl_crud

Does anyone here know what format the HD24(XR) uses in 88.2/96 kHz operation?
I'm talking about the multiplexing of the optical ins here.
Is is SMUX II, or something different?

it does 24 tracks at 24bit 44.1k/48k
or, 12 tracks at 24bit 88.2k/96k

it records to hard disk using a proprietary format. however, you can transfer to a computer and it will automatically convert to wav, aif, SD1, or SD2. you choose...

I'm not talking about the way the file is stored on the HDD, nor the high-res modes available, I'm talking about the transmission format for high res (88.1/96).

I know that the files are stored AFST, and I konw that there are 12 96kHz tracks. I know that ADAT lightpipe goes in the back.
What I don't know is what multiplexing format goes into the back (and if anyone says ÄDAT" I may have to hit you).
For example, if you're using AES/EBU, you've got two high-res options- Double fast and double wide.
I know that one of the high-res multiplexing formats for ADAT is SMUX II. Is this what the HD24 accepts, or is it some other format?

Or is this question going over the heads of people here?

ADAT! *puts hand on cruds head to stop him punching me*

The HD24 will start smuxing when the EC2 is installed and initialised to either 88.2 or 96 kHz sampling rate.

As double width is being used, the existing ADAT ports for channels 1-8, 9-16 & 17-24 are then reassigned to channels 1-4, 5-8 & 9-12

yeah, i've got the XR model... none of that fiddling around for me when I can pay someone else to...

Ok, so if I send a SMUX II signal into the lightpipe, it wil laccept and love it as it would its child, and record without issues?

The reason I ask is that I used an Onyx 800r with mine the other day, and had a play with the 96k operation.
Mics->onyx->lightpipe->hd24xr
Set sync to optical, it stayed steady, but the Sample Rate light was flashing- if I'm reading everythign right this means that the HD24 wasn't detecting the ADAT HR/smux bit. Further investigation shows that the Onyx uses SMUX II out...

So, does SMUX II set the ADAT HR bit to "1", or do only Alesis units do that?
Or is there another reason that the sample rate indicator was doing its flashy thing?
(Please note: this was NOT the "Source" light {optical} flashing, it was the "Sample Rate" light).

Yeah, the sample light on the HD24 flashes if it doesn't detect the special HR bit in the ADAT stream... this could be because the sending device doesn't have a clue about HR, or the sending device is fully acquainted with HR yet doesn't bother to set the bit.

So if your mackie is happily splitting a HR signal into two standard res signals and sending them out on different channels for the same track, then the HD24 should happily accept them... although maybe not love as its own because that special bit just isn't there

Back