HD24 fan?

TornadoTed

I'm looking at a HD24 and although I'm virtually sold I'm a little worried about several reviewers mentioning the noisy fan. Is is possible to easily fit a quiter fan, has anyone done this?

Don't know where you heard the fans are noisey. They're no worse than the muffin fans on a computer. I have no noise problem out of my HD.

fan mod

Yes, it is possible, I have done it. I replaced the fan with one from Papst, and removed the metal fan grill that was outside the fan. This has made my HD24 much less noisy, and I can easily track in the same room as the recorder.

I bought a Papst 8412NGMLE and it is recommended. The fan should be 80mm in diameter, and a minimum airflow of 25 CFM. This according to the HD24 forum at www.yahoo.com

More info on the hd24 forum at www.yahoo.com

I bought a used HD24 that had a fan that sounded like a turboprop engine. I replaced it with one from PC Power and Cooling, ordered direct. Much, much quieter, the only noise you heard was from the hard drive spinning up. Sold that one to a friend, recently bought another used one, have to put a new fan in this one too. It's a simple mod, worth doing. Search the HD24 group at yahoo.com for different techniques for the fan replacement.

If it's just a standard 80mm fan, this will be the easiest and cheapest job in the world. You could even get something with multi-coloured flashing lights .... erm .... if you want to ..... :)

noisedude said:
If it's just a standard 80mm fan, this will be the easiest and cheapest job in the world. You could even get something with multi-coloured flashing lights .... erm .... if you want to ..... :)

Hell, get some led panels and make it a tube fan.

eh91311 said:
I bought a used HD24 that had a fan that sounded like a turboprop engine. I replaced it with one from PC Power and Cooling, ordered direct. Much, much quieter, the only noise you heard was from the hard drive spinning up.

Same exact thing. It really makes it a noticable difference and its very easy if you know how to solder.

Don't believe the hater's noise about the HD's s'posedly "fan noise".

Long-time HD24 (& ADAT-junkie) owner who never had any issues regarding
noise of that kind!

misterqcue, I'm happy that your HD24's fan doesn't bug you. My old one was loud as hell. My new one has a replacement fan waiting for an install.

Just because we perceived our original fans in our units to be noisy (which is a relative thing anyways) - we are deemed haters? Interesting.

At the end of the day - if the unit looks like it fits in your setup, buy it. If the fan doesnt bother you at all, dont change it. If it does, its an easy swap. Case closed.

Shoot...I don't think the HD24 fan can be as noisey as three Adat XTs "whinning, churping, gaging, trying to sync up! ( which I still use).. :mad: ... :D

Back