HD24 Drive suggestions?

brodgind

Having problems with my HD24 while recording live. I keep getting the buffer overrun error. I used the 80gig drive that Alesis sent with it, and a barracuda 300gig, both with issues, although the 80gig was better. Do you need to run smaller drive's while recording more than 16 or 18 track's? perhaps a lower bit rate?. I went back to using Adat xt's for the time being, but love the convience of the HD24's, and would love to get this to work. Any idea's????

I use the HD24 to record 21 channels at gigs. I had the direct outs on my Midas Venice 320 modified to pre-fader, pre-EQ, post insert. I record to 80 and 120 gb Western Digital drives. I have no problems at all. Of course, I'm only recording select songs, not the whole set (60 minutes). Transfer to a PC via the firewire connector. If there needs to be any tracks re-done, I burn a mixdown to a stereo wav file and give it to the appropriate musician, they all have simply recording facilities at home. They re-do the part and return the mixdown file and the newly recorded track and I remix it back into the songs original tracks.

I use N-Track software for mixing.

Are you using 7200 or 5400 hard drives? I have 2 of the HD24. I do a lot of live and have never even heard of that error. Nor in my studio. I have gone through tons of hard drives and thats a new one for me. Is it just the one hard drive?
Jim

robin watson said:
Was the HD24 being subjected to a lot of vibration when the problem occured?

+1 for that suggestion. I've read that others have had problems with the HD24 being subjected to extremely loud sounds or vibrations causing problems with the drives...

Western Digital WD800jb 80 Gig ????rpm
This drive came with the HD, and sort of worked.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300 Gig 7200 rpm
Has problems mounting, and running.

Yes it was at a loud club(http://www.ottosdekalb.com/artist.html), about 110db. I was also filming with an XL1 and it was vibrating like crazy!, but then I remembered the stabilizer!

Would one of those sprung racks help with that?

brodgind said:
Western Digital WD800jb 80 Gig ????rpm
This drive came with the HD, and sort of worked.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 300 Gig 7200 rpm
Has problems mounting, and running.

Yes it was at a loud club(http://www.ottosdekalb.com/artist.html), about 110db. I was also filming with an XL1 and it was vibrating like crazy!, but then I remembered the stabilizer!

Would one of those sprung racks help with that?

I'd think that a shockmount rack case might help.

Your current drives may be permanently damaged while attempting to run in that loud environment. You might need to buy new ones, especially to replace the WD, it's probably dead. Consider a new HD caddy as well. If you try a new drive and have the same issues attempting to mount or load while not in the loud environment, you'll know that your HD24 has issues.

I was at the studio today, both drives work fine. We are working on a solution for isolating the HD24 for live recording. Thanks for the info!! I love the concept of these machines!, just need to work out the kinks!

Glad to hear that you don't need new drives. I agree that the HD24 is a cool machine. Let us know of your solution to the vibration problem once you find something suitable.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I am still looking for suggestions on which drives are best for these machines...

We are a small label that likes the live side of music, so this is important to us to have a reliable rig to use. I personally love the studio, but you know how that goes...

Personally, I rely on Seagate barracuda drives, as they have never been reported as having problems in the HD24. Except for you, which makes me think that once you get the vibration thing solved, stick with the barracudas.

Also, they are among the most silent drives.

Back