Hd24/24xr

Perdicament

i can't seem to find what the difference is....

also I'm looking into getting one of those (depending on the differences)...

seems like a perfect answer for live recording, and later editing in the DAW...

is there also some kinda controller for it, for punches and studio type recording?

The HD24 is 24 bit 48k analogue, while the HD24XR is 24bit 96k analogue. You can upgrade the HD24 to the 96k for $700 retail, or spend the $300 up front. I believe that you can use the HD24 at 96k with digital i/o.

Side note, both recorders drop to 12 tracks at the higher sample rate.

ahh okay so that would be the EC2 upgrade, I was a little unclear if the XR needed that as well... I'd say for the 300 upfront, it's worth it to have it...

do you know of any kinda control surface that can be used to control it?

Yes, the only difference is the analog conversion. If you're going into the unit digitally, you don't really need the XR model.

What I'm planning on doing is putting it in the rack, and runnin out of a 16 channel Allen & Heath board... so it's always going to be analog..quater inch from the board to the HD24

Right now we're using a Delta 1010 but can only track 8 channels at once...I have a Firepod at home, but the allure of 24 tracks at once hard wired, (not having to move cables around to track stuff other than drums) seems like a lot easier.

however, I would like some kind of control surface to control the HD24 for punches etc...

I like this idea of a dedicated unit that will fit into the rack, cause that way we can record at gigs too and not have to worry about running out of channels. Then just pop the HDD out bring it home and load it into SX and do the editing from there.

hmm I just had a thought, can i control it thru cubase? via the ehternet port?

No control over the ethernet that I am aware of. Only very slow transfers. From the sound of it, your way better off using the $300 on the firewire adapter than upgrading to the XR. I have had issues with the drive's not keeping up while doing live recording's of more than 18 tracks though, so beware. I still use 3 adat's with tape to record live and then transfer into the HD for mix.

Back