Having your Condenser Mic UPSIDE down.....

I missed this little tidbit that was down in the corner on the Utube site ..........

242,793 likes, 1,874,933 dislikes ~ Don't like them odds!

Glamor Shots for wannabe pop stars. I wonder if I could be a viral child pop star? Oh yeah, there's that age and integrity thing...

A number of sites have unlike buttons now. Negative reputation. Always nice to have higher numbers in six months than most mods have had in 4+ years. Even if yours is negative and theirs is not. Some even configure it now where it looks like you need to click / unclick them to do the multi-quote thing. I miss usenet.

I like having the floor space, so given the option I would probably hang everything upside down. But I live in the country so anything on the ground is a) blocking your view of the mice / snakes / whatever critter of the week. And b) likely to get damaged in the process of taking care of said critters. Plus that whole biological function thing. Gravity is NOT your friend. But I've seen those things on the curtain rod, where there was no easy way to get to there from here.

I guess I would be hanging my microphones all upside down too if I was chasing critters around the house with my shotgun.

The first mic ever hung upside down was the Telefunken/Neumann U47 and it was hung upside down for a reason. The M7 capsule in that mic had a diaphragm made from PVC, which starts drying out pretty much as soon as its poured. The diaphragm cracks like a spider web and becomes brittle and starts to lose the low end. Engineers were worried the heat from the tube was accelerating the process and began setting up the stand so that the tube was oriented above the diaphragm so the heat would rise up and away from it. Although in truth, more heat is generated by the mic's heater's wire wound drop resistor than the tube itself. Other benefits were discovered afterward, like it allows a music stand to be more accessible and forces singers to sing with their head lifted, which opens the throat up, captures more deepness from the chest and just gets a better performance.

It was really just a necessity that became a trend.

Back