Having trouble Mastering this song? Need help ASAP! please!

Redendever

I have one band coming next week to record a 6 song EP... Good thing is they are going direct and have a drum tigger system...

Bad news is... Been recording some songs for a friend to catch up to date... I'm using pro tools 7.4 LE I have a digi 002.... Studiophile bx5 Monitors... Sony MDR v700 headphones (buying new ones) SM57 clones (ESL) and a Maudio luna condenser mic...

I like the way the songs starting to come out. I used a d6 kick mic, maudio luna on the drums, thats all the other clone, I must have put to close so it caused it to peak... I know the guitars sounded distant.. and when he recorded them he wanted his gain ALL the way up.. highs ALL the way up.. mids all the way DOWN and lows all the way UP... I mic'd in a closet that I use as my booth.. no real accoustics just the fact that its soundproof and i have some egg carton foam in there...

I did one mix and it came out great in the headphones... stuck it in the car... the bass was a little too loud ( kick and bass guitar) and then my ears starting hurting because the sound was too "HIGH" at that time I had eqs on all the guitars and a final eq on the track... The guitars sounded too distant and i was trying to get some of the crackle out of it because of his settings..

Could someone please take a listen and help me out? THanks

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=13155 Matt jones- Moxycontin

Last edited:
I'll post it in a sec but its telling me i have to have at least 5 posts to post a URL .. Thanks for that url by the way

Hi, Welcome to the forum!

First thing, wait for other opinions...I downloaded and listened, but I´m definitelly not "in tune" with the style.
That´s why I have to say:

Basically I think you are with some frequencie issues:
*Too much highs (2/ 3 khz and above)
*Lack of mids
*Lack of lows around 100/150 hz (where´s the bass guitar and Bass drum loudness)
*Bass drum needs much more volume.

I have other conception, but even for a "modern rock":D thing, seems to me really overcompressed (instrumenst and probably master) and (more important),unbalanced on (many)frequencies.

But, as I said, wait for more "in tune" opinions.

Ciro
www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau

Thank you, I'll continue to take all the advice I can get.. The song was coming together well but I started to think maybe it was the way the instruments were recorded. The best mix I made out of all them were too high.. Sounded hollow in the middle... ( Sounded like there was no guitar tone) but with the way the guitars sounded ( somewhat distant) or (really crackly distortion) it was the best way i could try to bring out the guitar and get rid of the unwanted noise.. I havn't tried messing with the band bypass, maybe I should try that to get rid of unwanted sound?

Quick guess- The guitar(s?) have little boddy tone, lots of top. This might fly but for; the drums are 'back (roomy' vs ballsy/thick/forward edge), and the bass is back (somewhere). Neither seem to be filling in the hole left by the guitars.
- "I'd need some beef" :cool:

Yeah, that's completely void of low mids and mids. Very harsh in the 2-3k range. Maybe there is some lows, but they must be centered very low - they are almost non existent in my monitors.

What kind of headphones are you using? Maybe switch some reference tracks in now and again while you are mixing? Best thing is to get off headphones altogether, but you should be able to make way better mixes even on headphones.

To me this song is not ready for mastering. For one thing, I barely hear any bass. No kick either.

I agree with the comments that the guitars are really thin and too strong around 2500hz. They need retracking unless everything below 1K has been EQ'd out.

Really swishy cymbals. Might be the MP3 conversion, but it could be a phase problem.

Good energy to the band. The singer and drummer are good.

Back