Having doubts about mbox/protools

travis16vp

My school suggested to the students to get an mbox because the school's studio has a protools system. I've read so many bad things about the mbox's latency and that it's midi support isn't that good. I also saw some other interfaces that could record 8 inputs at a time like the tascam US 1641. It seems like you can do so much more with the tascam but then I would have compatibility issues with my school's system. I have a Lexicon Alpha to work with Cubase but as the school uses protools Should I go with the Mbox/protools setup? Any opinions would be welcome.

The M-Box latency (unless your talking about the M-Box Pro) is adjusted at the box itself. In other words your monitoring through the hardware box NOT the software. It can be adjusted to zero if one first understands the design. It is unusual and some find it an added layer of adjustment but at it's price point acceptable.

SO many folks here critique based on forum mis-information.

Pro Tools has long suffered the moniker of horrible midi and indeed compared to some long established programs most notable Digital Performer, Logic, Cubase and Sonar lacks some key fundamental work flow elements. That said in all the Digi bashing that goes on around here and having taught many basic midi programing classes I have NEVER encountered a student with enough midi/recording/compositional skills that wouldn't need YEARS of learning before the capabilities of PT midi were mastered. Pro Tools midi is behind Digital Performer but it's still a tremendously powerful sequencer.

Finally no matter the endless arguments around here as to how bad Digidesign is, it is still for those that make their living (music and or post) the single choice of the industry. Look on Show Biz Careers.com and notice the posts for Pro Tools engineers. At least here in L.A. if your interested in the Post for Film or Television you simply MUST know Pro Tools.

I would think you'd want your students to have that basic edge before you send them out in the cut throat world of professional engineers.

Last edited:
You could still work with your schools system, you just have to export contiguous audio files all starting from the same point - then import them into Cubase. It's not ideal, but it would work.

From another perspective, an mbox1 goes for about $150 bucks [i've seen them go for even less], so its not really a massive investment should you choose to go another route in the future. If you want to be able to work with pro tools sessions its probably the cheapest way.

Have a look on ebay, heres one for $149

http://cgi.ebay.com/Original-MBOX-D...39:1|66:2|65:15|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

edit: just noticed that one doesn't come with software - make sure you buy one with PT software otherwise that will cost you $150 bucks [i think...]

http://store.digidesign.com/us/index.cfm?page=templates/product_grp_index&categoryid=16

If you are a student, and your school is using ProTools, and they suggest you use ProTools---then get an Mbox with ProTools. I don't know why you wouldn't.

Think about what it will be like if you try to take classes with incompatible hardware/software. You'll be the class dunce. Always behind, incompatible with the rest of the classes' files and plugins, always having to deal with converting files back and forth, etc.

It's like buying a textbook. Just get what the teacher will be using in class. If the school was using Cubase I'd say get Cubase. But they aren't, they are using ProTools, so get a ProTools system.

Yeah I guess going for protools is the most logical thing to do. It won't hurt me if I use protools for school related stuff and use Cubase for my own projects. Thanks for the advice guys.

Back