Have you used these Daw-based effects?

geekgurl

Hi all. Here's my situation. Right now I have Pro Tools Free and Cool Edit Pro 1.1 for tracking on my PC. Both are doing fine right now, but neither has reverb -- in fact, from what I understand, CEP 1.1 doesn't work with real-time effects at all.

So here's what I can do:

* switch my system over to a Digi 001 Factory. It has Digi's D-Verb and Maxim (peak limiter), as well as Bomb Factory's 1176 and LA-2A compressors, which got good marks in recording rags.

* keep my current sound card (Echo Gina) and upgrade to CEP 2.0 OR get another software combo to get the plugs I need.

I don't really need more inputs, so the Gina is fine in that respect. And I'm pretty comfortable getting around in PT, less so in CEP, but hey, I can learn. Some brain cells are still left.

So my question is for people who have used more than one of the following:

* Digi D-Verb RTAS
* Sound Forge's Acoustic Mirror (comes only w/ SF)
* CEP 2.0's house reverb
* Timeworks ReverbX or 408L
* Sonar's house 'verb

At last, the question: which reverb of those do you like best? Any comments on the EQs and compressors in SF, CEP, Sonar?

Anyway, thanks for sticking with me on the lengthy question and for your input.

gg

PT free has no reverb? What.... Im pretty sure my version does? My PT free also does 24 bit 48,000 hz sampling, I actually ordered the cd off the digidesign website instead of the down load... Check the digidesgn website, you may be able to get a newer version of PT free..

Peace,
Dennis

Out of your list, I have both Acoustic Mirror, and the Sonic Timeworks plugins (ReverbX and the 480L).

For basic reverbs, the Sonic Timeworks stuff is excellent. Some of the best sounding software based reverb I've heard.

Acoustic Mirror on the other hand is more for specialty effects, and is very processor intensive. Acoustic Mirror uses impules files of real environments...Things like real rooms, halls or spaces. It also can be used to simulate other things, like other pieces of equipment...including guitar/bass cabinets, other effects processors (reverbs, delays, exiters, compressors, etc), and various other types of sounds. AM has the capability of sounding very close to the original source it's trying to emulate, but it really sucks up a lot of processor power. Sounds great, but there is not a huge abundance of impulse files out there. The ones I have found are very nice though.

Haven't had any experience with the other verbs in your list, but I know for a fact these two work very well.

I think 4080L is awesome. Sonic Timeworks ReverbX won't run on my 1ghz processor...it's optimized for dual processors. I just installed SF 6.0 and can't find any impulse files for acoustic mirror. Where do you get them?

I think the CD version of SF6 has some impulse files on it, but I can't say for sure. Check on the Sonic Foundry web site.

This site http://www.geocities.com/beamsonic/welcome.htm has some interesting impulse files as well. Quiet nice actually.

A few years ago, Sek'd made a similar product to AM that used the same impulse files as AM, and they sold a CD with Lexicon and TC reverbs on it. Not sure where you'd find that now though. Might be disconinuted...Dig around, and you might find it somewhere.

I use the Reverb that comes with Sound Forge 5.0, I'm not crazy about how it sounds, but it has been the most stable and least resource-hungry plugin I've tried.

>I just installed SF 6.0 and can't find any impulse files for acoustic mirror. Where do you get them?

It's a separate download.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Sonitus Ultrafunk suite of plugins. They're cheap, easy to use, aren't cpu hungry, and sound pretty darn good. Off the top of my head the suite includes: EQ, Compressor, Wah, Modulator, Phaser (for phase correction), Reverb, and Surround.

eay does it

when constructing a daw i find it makes sense to build your system based upon what kind of sequencer/recorder you want to use.
the 001 will cost considerably more than say cakewalk or whatever because of the hardware. If you are happy with your sound card and don't need the eight track input than you might be better off with a new recording program.......I have used digi and haven't found it really superior to any thing else and definitly not easier to understand. Also i wouldn't let efx concerns provide the primay impetus toward buying/changing a system. There are zillions of direct x efx packages and most are quite adequate.
for the moment look around and you'll probably find a free direct x reverb.
good luck!

Back