Have I got weird ears?

Hi Forum

I was playing some sine sweeps to check my room and noticed that the stereo image would shift depending on the frequency. To make sure I wasn't going mad I tried again with some headphones and sure enough some frequencies sound more left or right than others.

Is this normal?

Dave

Yes your ears look weird. :D

Also in the cans huh!?! I can see if your room isn't treated to have such anomalies. You possibly have ear damage.

I think you can get a hearing test done that shows you the general frequency response of your ears (someone on here said so, so don't crucify me if I'm wrong). You probably have a different response in your left and right ears, so you're hearing a shift in the stereo panorama at different frequencies.

your individual ears may be sensitive to specific frequencies. since a sine wave is one frequency it may mess with your ears in ways that more complex tones do not. that's a likely answer.

or your ears get used to sounds (like white noise) and tune things out. maybe your brain is tuning out the frequency on one side over time...in other words it may be a perception issue and not an acoustics issue.

who knows that's my two cents. try taking something like a guitar track and set the eq with a narrow band and drag the band up and down the frequency range at +12 db or more and see if there is some point where it affects the stereo image...chances are with a complex tone like a guitar it won't make as big a difference as with a sine wave.

Tyson-Obama-ears.jpg

Back