have $500, buying soundcard(s), read please

solaris0031

alright i need to upgrade from my audigy 2. I was gonna get a delta 1010lt, but i suddenly came up with $500 so now im thinking something different would bea good idea. I am using a p4 3.0ghz, intel 875p chipset, 1gig ddr400, dual 80 gig hds and a 20 gig for my programs and windows xp pro.

Im recording in cubase sx, and i plan on using the pre amps on my yamaha mg 16/4 (10 pres). I need to have at least 8 analog inputs for my pres, 10 or maybe even more would be even better. I dunno if i need/want digital i/o or midi i/o. I plan on racking my computer. This will be used for my home studio work (at least 8 tracks simultaneous for drums, more is better), and also i might try my hand at recording some friends bands live, in which case i want as many ins as i can get for $500 (i figure i can buy more pres when i have teh cash, and until then i can just use the 10 i have right now).

so far im looking at the delta 1010, but im thinking what about buying two of a different card or something.... i have exactly $500.

is that enough info? lol. oh and i would prefer a rackable breakout box, mostly cos i dont wanna worry about yanking the cables on the back of my card (i've got 2 broken jacks on my audigy from people knocking crap off my desk) and beyond that....what do you guys think?

If you're going used you could pick up a nifty MOTU interface below 500$. 2408 mk2, or the possibly an 896. If you'd get a 2408 you could always expand it with more ad-da's later on, and it is a solid performer.
But than again, there are so many interfaces avalible now so it's all down to preferance really.

Back