Has this melody been done before?

dreamsound2

Hi,

I posted here before asking this question regarding another song and you guys told me to not worry about it and just write. Now again, I just want to make sure I didn't over hear this song somewhere else, got it stuck in my unconscious and came right back out a year later :o

Number 1 is a short sample of the song, number 2 is an even shorter sample of the same song but in a chorus type form and different key. No lyrics, just babling and making them up on the go.

Thanks in advance, I would hate to put weeks worth of work and come out of the studio to then hear the same song playing on the radio...

adam-lambert.org? :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

It doesn't sound like anything else to me. Again, it doesn't matter. Just write whatever.

I did that Adam Lambert site before anyone knew Adam and is the only site I have running now, that's why I post files there.

Doesn't it sound like Foo Fighters to you? I really don't want to write and studio record a song based on this melody to find out someone else has done something just like it... :(

I didn't think anyone actually likes adam lambert. :o

It doesn't sound Foo fighters to me. I'm not a huge fan though. Maybe it is like one of their songs. But again, so what? There's only so many notes you can use, and at this point, everything has been done. Just have fun with it.

You ask Has this melody been done before?

Not by you it hasn't?

To my ears the may progress similarly in the same way some Coldplay, when the use a delay guitar, sound like U2 - but definitely not in the way that 'My Sweet Lord' sounds like 'He's so fine'!

Bottom line - do a note check - more than 7 notes same intervals and same duration/rests as an existing published melody then you get a smack. I think the Phone has an app that can id a song?

But if you change intervals or duration then your fine - actually great way to start to compose take a well known song's melody and change timing or even reverse it.

Not many people know but Metallica's last album was all reversed melody lines from Barry Manilow hits - talk about satanic.

Never let the fear of the unoriginal get in the way of originality.

Whatmysay, beautifully said, you definitely have a point slash quote there:

"Never let the fear of the unoriginal get in the way of originality. "

I just felt that someone might have done something exactly like it but I can't find anything either. If it isn't obvious to you guys then I'm ok, SO... I will move forward with it (after recording the other two songs that are in line :D)

I listened to your first mp3...it doesn't sound like anything specific...yet manages to sound like a million other songs out there. Couldn't really pick out much of a melody. Sorry to be so blunt.

Listened to your 2nd one....same thing applies for that one too.

Having said that I'll say this...just keep on truckin

I did that Adam Lambert site before anyone knew Adam and is the only site I have running now, that's why I post files there.

Doesn't it sound like Foo Fighters to you? I really don't want to write and studio record a song based on this melody to find out someone else has done something just like it... :(

I would say if anything it sounds more like Nirvana than the Foo Fighters, but it doesn't sound "exactly" like any of the songs I've heard and like from both, so rock it out and get it into the MP3 clinic so we can listen to it. :D

Trump

actually great way to start to compose take a well known song's melody and change timing or even reverse it.

One of my favourite segments of a song that I've written is this bass part from a song that was quite popular by the early 80s reggae band Aswad, called "Warrior charge". At the time I didn't mind a bit of reggae but I was hanging out with a crowd in which, to not be a reggae fanatic was like having extreme haliotosis, cheesy rancid feet and severe B.O. and I wasn't a fanatic. But I liked "Warrior charge" and when I was learning bass, figured out how to play it. But I didn't want to play other peoples' stuff so for reasons I can only guess at, I reversed the order of notes in the sequence, took the reggae-ness out of it, slowed it right down and developed a build up to it and it was better than Aswad's one in my opinion ! Well I like it better (but then, I would). Even God would have a hard time connecting the two.
it doesn't sound like anything specific...yet manages to sound like a million other songs out there.

Listened to your 2nd one....same thing applies for that one too.

Having said that I'll say this...just keep on truckin

There's only so many notes you can use, and at this point, everything has been done. Just have fun with it.
This is something I find with quite a bit of music these days but it's by no means a new thing. There are loads of hymns from the old days that "kind of could be this or that but are neither.....", tons of classical pieces that are so similar in melody, tone, instrumentation, build up and atmosphere - and sometimes you'd get this by the same composer. And in 50s rock'n'roll, the same bassline seemed to get employed on so many songs ! One of the things I love about Irish folk music is the way different variations of the same pieces developed in different parts of the land, yet, in general you can hear something and identify it as Irish or Scottish (let's say Celtic) straightaway. Rap and country have alot of that. Much music from southern and Western Africa and right across Asia and the Middle east have similar melodic threads in songs from those regions. I would argue that it's very human, especially when we've been around so long.
People will always come up with new melodic twists. But given that there's only 12 notes it's one of the most inevitable things I can think of that many, many songs will evoke a feeling of "have I heard this before ?".
Just hope some sharp, predatory lawyer can't answer the question ! :D

I think the Phone has an app that can id a song?

Shazam... play it to it and see what it thinks....

If it IDs a famous song for you then I'd definitely record your track and release it, and then about a year later, dob yourself in via an exclusive "leak" and you'll get all the publicity you can eat and a platform to launch your career from..

All my songs sound like Bohemian Rhapsody.. but no-one's noticed yet... :D

Back