Has this ever happened to you? Do you feel bad after this happens?

hokypokynose

Do you ever screw up recording a perfect take? I don't know how well played this drum part was because the drummer had my headphones on, but I forgot to unmute the tracks(pretty stupid) and I feel terrible. They all just said "It's okay, he probably screwed up anyway", but I still feel terrible because it was the last take he was able to do before he had to leave for work.

Have you ever screwed up recording someone? Or am I a retard?

Don't worry, it may be your fist time but it wont be the last. Try not to make a habit of it.

Yes, I forgot to unmute, to push the record button, to backup....

Thanks man. Just hearing from someone else who's done this makes me feel better. I also made sure I wouldn't do this again...

Attachments

• dcp00551.jpg
    dcp00551.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 141
feel bad?

when you forget to save your data at least every 10 minutes and somehow your recorder loses power and you lose everything after the last save,then missing one take before the guy had to go to work will seem like a favor. (a long time ago i forgot to save anything,got caught up in what i was doing,and one of the amps blew a fuse or something shutting off my 1680 and i lost everything we recorded that day .(a six hour session)I told them right away .they left all pissed off but by the time i say them for the next session(yes they came back)they had already taken out all of there agressions on eachother and it was business as usual.but yes they were mad when they were leaving.I felt terrible,becuase the whole time they were commenting on great they were playing that day how they never sounded so good etc.they should have knocked on wood.i did'nt charge them and gave them some free studio time.

I guess it really was nothing. And the guy wasn't angry, but he seemed really dissapointed. I don't know weather he was sad he had to go to work, or sad that he wasn't able to lay down anything usable. And his last take sounded really solid...

That blows. Especially when you've been trying to nail it for hours and the performer would come so close, only to hear the take and say "I think I can do a better fill right there, let me try again." So you delete that take and the next time he goes "We got it!" and you go "Uhhhh.... actually dude, we didnt get it. I forgot to mute the talkback mic and theres a long ass conversation going on over the overheads" :(

If at all possible, try and find some way to blame it HIM.

"Aw man, you totally screwed it up. We gotta do this over again." :) :) :)

I have made just about every mistake possible... and most of those more than once! Some of the worst are:

- Arming the wrong tracks or additional tracks during a punch in
- Mishandled a very loose wound 1/2" master open reel. (only 1 reel on the hub.. don't ask) and had the tape fall of the hub.
- sliced a tape on the opposite side of the word I was cutting out. sliver sized pieces of tape are hard to splice back in. (yes, back in the day we had to use blades and blocks for editing.. it's not a myth)
- I was making a DAT copy to send to a client and was also listening to some tunes through mixer... because I didn't check the patch bay, my CD tunes got mixed in with the clients DAT.. and I didn't review the DAT before it got sent....
- When asked are you sure you want to delete, I said yes. (On a system that didnt' have undo)
- Misread an editing list and made a mess of a spoken word project.

the list goes on......

No doubt. Fortunately, I don't record others often. Most of the time, I forget to arm a track when doing my own take. It doesn't seem as bad when you're screwing up your own stuff.

Yeah, I've had my share too!

When I first recorded my band, in a Tascam Porta 03, I overdubbed the wrong track, thus erasing the most important part of the track -acoustic guitar- during the first 30 seconds. And it was during the final dubbings. When I realized I was screwing up, I suddenly pressed stop and acted as nothing had happened. Unfortunately, the other guys noticed and I got a huge...

¡¡¡Pinche Alex!!! (Which means, to the illiterate in mexican bad words: "Fuck%ng Alex!!!!") :o

Fortunately, as it was the beginning of the song, I was finally able to do a fade in... :cool:

One of my duties on my first intern gig years ago was to dub the promos for the TV news onto a tape with the countdown. My first attempt I dubbed the countdown over the promo master. Boy was that producer pissed!

It happens less often than it used to but it still happens. Another reason to save the bong hits for after work.

I've been on both sides of that coin, gotta remember that it's always better the second time!! :) Yeah one time my band was doing a late night and very expensive session where the engineer spaced on our best take of the whole day. And I've erased work that took dozens of hours to create. It's all about kharma man, life goes on!

Ever pressed "Remove Track" instead of "Remove Part" in N-track?
It happened to me several times - every time with the same singer. The lesson learned was to never erase anything. I usually keep every take, or send it to the Recycle Bin, where it could be retrieved.

Oren

The guy I mostly work with is used to it. Happens all the time. In fact, I screw up more tracks by not un-muting them than he does when singing. :D

But I'm working on it. I unmute/remute it for a few minutes in a row, 2 or 3 times a day. Kindof practicing you know? I'm getting really good at it too.

Not my fault this one (although I've done plenty of screwups in my time).

Helping my best friend record a track for is first ever compilation CD appearance, I spent three hours programming up a drum track which sounded utterly convincing. I was so utterly stoked. Of course, caught up in the moment, I hadn't been saving. Like I say, three hours in, Mark (my friend) just reaches over and turns the Atari off. Bang. Gone. He's still got no idea why the hell he did it.

The 02R and tascam consoles have this fancy totall recall function.

Don't ever witch the store and recall button !
Don't ever hit the recall button during a live-performance.

Done that, Been there (ouch)

I also made a stupid mistake on one of the first takes I did with a demo I recorded at school with some fellow students begin this year. We were recording on a Fostex D-16 and a Mackie Db8, and you have to hold the record and play button about 2 seconds before it begins to record. I fucked up a great drum take by just quickly touching the buttons instead of holding them a bit longer.
I didn't even notice all the tracks I needed were still flashing in recordready on the fostex.

Back