• it is up to artists to adapt

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • mp3s would be fine if people would pay for them

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

iLogical

a member member
I am interested to hear as many varied opinions on this matter as possible. I would really like to get a picture from you guys as to how people are thinking about this. I realise, as techies, you are not necessarily representative of the general consumer but I bet you have thought about it more and have a more balanced perspective on the subject!

Here is some more detailed background to the question and some of my thoughts on this discussion: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zxAlZPQ6Etwb-OnNUWgBsice4yoYq-vChGjcdaGhsSk/edit?usp=sharing
This will hopefully clear up any confusion as to what i'm asking. So if you have the time it would be really helpful if you read it but if you can't then even your most basic first reaction to the question will be valuable.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Last edited:
Right? I remember driving around with tapes and CD's. It was cool for the time. Now with just a smartphone and a music streaming service I can listen to literally anything I want to.

Exactly. And it's not about ripping 'em off either. I still buy CDs like crazy. But I rip 'em to MP3 and put em on a shelf. I've got like 12,000 songs on my iPod. What's not cool about that?

Also--for us music nerds, MP3s are perfect. Making and checking a dozen different mixes, sharing mixes online, putting 'em on a website and pretending like your famous. Lots of advantages.

Great Guys! thanks for your thoughts - and keep them coming please.

Please realise the question at the head of this thread is not rhetorical - I am actually asking the question to hear the answers without a vested interest in a particular answer.

No iPod or iPhone or iAnything here. If the files are converted well (and mixed for MP3 conversion), great, but the general sound of them sucks unless you're listening with earbuds - then it doesn't really matter.
The general public, however, can't hear the difference.

I think that the mp3 has decreased the value of any given recorded song. No longer do you have to pay $10-20 for whatever CD it's on to get your favorite song. Instead you pay $0-1.29 for just that song.
However, they've also made music itsself more ubiquitous. With the various portable mp3 players enjoying far more popularity than walkmans, etc. ever did, most everyone is able to listen to music anywhere and at any time.

The market is flooded, which is great for consumers. It's a challenge for professionals, but it's good for hobbyists too.

Love em:
Great for transerring songs without taking up too much space
I archive all my store bought CD's - mainly for the wife/kids. When they loose/scratch the CD, I simply burn them another one
Don't have to purchase spools of blank CD's anymore to just hear my songs (that got expensive)
Easy to share music with friends
Anybody can create, then post a song to the world

Hate em:
Anybody can create, then post their song to the world - regardless of quality
Most people don't know to bump up the bitrate to make it not sound like shit

My car has a USB input, so I have a 16GB stick in there loaded up with tunes. You can almost bring your entire collection with you. I'm just waiting for a TB stick for that...:thumbs up:

I tend to think MP3s have devalued music. They've turned it to a world where quantity is valued over quality.

When I was a lad just starting to buy music, I'd have to save up a bit to buy a 45rpm single of a track I liked. If, heaven forbid, I liked it enough to want the whole album, that was a serious investment when I was twelve. You can bet I listened to every note and nuance on the records I bought.

Nowadays people have archives of thousands of tracks--so many that I bet many of the tracks are rarely, if ever, listened to. I use the word "tracks" deliberately. Would classic albums of my youth--say Dark Side of the Moon, Abbey Road or Houses of the Holy--become classic in their own right or would people just cherry pick one or two tracks?

And all that is before we discuss sound quality since many commercial MP3s are 128kbps.

I don't see the point of lossy compression at all with the low cost of storage. Stick to wave (or, if you must, FLAC).

(Actually I do see the historic point--the first MP3 players I saw many years ago had a whole 32MB storage. However that's certainly no longer the case.)

I assume this still comes back to the point I made above. People are all about archiving quantity, not quality.

A different view perhaps: salt and pepper were once deemed more valuable than gold simply because they had purpose while gold did not (least not at that point in time.) Salt served as a food preservative, while pepper was quite handy at keeping flies and other pests from contaminating food stuffs; all gold was really good for at the time was looking shiny and pretty. Years go by, society advances, new processes not only allowed for the production of greater quantities of salt, pepper, and other useful commodities, while at the same time more efficient means of food preservation were discovered rendering substances such as salt-once considered a necessity of life-as merely abundant extras. At the same time new uses for gold were found making the metal more desirable from a usage standpoint. The MP3 is merely another tool that has evolved with the changing times; how the technology gets used determines valuation. The times they are a chang'n

namaste

I don't understand why people knock the medium. A good quality mp3

Sound better than any casette dub I ever had
Sound better than what ever vinyl I have left because of the wear and tear. As much as I love Vinyl I am not a fan of the pops and crackles.
Sound better than Sirius/XM which I really like for the programming
Sound better than FM Radio
Is more convenient than burning a bunch of cds as mp3s don't degrade, get scratched, melt in the sun or have any environmental impact

I disagree with the idea that a good quality 320 mp3 is inferior in any way, except for the most demaning critical listening/audiophile usage. I wouldn't want to mix through an mp3 transcoder, but I have 0 problem with the output.

I don't think the MP3 has devalued music per se any more than the mellotron devalued orchestras or VSTis have devalued real instruments.
Humans innovate and develop new things that sit alongside what currently exists. To a large extent, it is the consumer public that determine whether things live on or die. For instance, all my albums and singles, even my vinyl ones, are on CD. I then put them onto tape because for me, cassette tape is still the most convenient and favoured method for me. But when CD came along, over a 10 year period it became obvious that tape's days were numbered. I'll keep it going as long as I possibly can but most people I know barely remember tape, let alone hanker for it because CD and now MP3 are far lighter, easier to store and cheaper. If masses of folk had continued to buy tape, it would be viable as it would be profitable. To a large extent, the general public have decided the fate of the mediums that have been presented to them.

You can bet I listened to every note and nuance on the records I bought.
I've always done that, whether it was on vinyl, tape, CD or MP3. I still do that. While I can hear, I'll always do that.
Nowadays people have archives of thousands of tracks--so many that I bet many of the tracks are rarely, if ever, listened to.
But isn't that ultimately the concern of the individual punter ? Why should anyone care whether or not someone else listens to all the music they have ? Lt Bob has 6000 vinyl albums. Assuming he sleeps 7 hours a night and none of his albums are doubles, he could listen to all of them once a year, provided he did absolutely nothing else but listen to his albums.
So in reality many people with large record collections aren't going to be listening to them all the while either.
I used to feel that I should give everything in my collection an airing at least once a year. Then I thought, "stuff that !". Now, sometimes I'll focus on an album or even a song for 3, 5, 10 days at a time. Choice is king !

I use the word "tracks" deliberately.
I think one of the neat things about the MP3 revolution has been the ability to acquire singular songs that are not 'singles'. That has had both a positive and negative~lite effect. On the positive, I think of a band like Traffic whose stuff I should like but in truth, I only like "Paper sun" and "Coloured rain". So I could buy those two tracks instead of having to buy the whole album that they were on.
On the negative~lite side, in the old days, I'd buy a whole album cheap in a second hand store because it had one song that I liked or was aware of and I'd buy it for that song. It was as cheap as buying a single, cheaper often. And I'd listen to the album just to see if there were any good songs on it. It was through that that I discovered superb albums like "Outlandos d'amour" and "Ghost in the machine" by the Police and "Changes one" and the immortal "Hunky Dory" by David Bowie.
Would classic albums of my youth--say Dark Side of the Moon, Abbey Road or Houses of the Holy--become classic in their own right or would people just cherry pick one or two tracks?
I think you'd get both. Crucial to the debate is the fact that popular recorded music's initial heyday was because of the single. Then the album began to dominate. 1968 was the first year in the US of A that sales of LPs overtook that of singles and coinciding with this was the album becoming an artistic medium on it's own terms and in it's own right.
So albums were BIG. But they weren't that way for everyone. Loads of people still bought singles and TV programmes catered to singles and much radio catered to singles and even now, we often gauge older bands on the singles they released.
I think many artists today make albums but they also cater to those that may not want entire albums but they don't necessarilly want to release singles so it seems to me that the MP3/4 has enabled them to spread their scope. They've had to.

Back