Has anyone used an old bus or portable building as a studio?

Manor Music

just wondering if anyone has used a portable building/shed type structure for a studio...or maybe a bus..Uhaul truck or van?

It would take a lot of treatment to not sound like the inside of a tin can, but people use storage units as practice spaces, so maybe.

If you consider news companies people, then yes! Haha.
Anyway, it's definitely feasible. Spark 1 Studios, for example, builds studios in shipping containers; even sells them! VocalBooth.com also does trailer studios, up to semi size. Of course, these options both entitle thousands of dollars. I have seen many builds inside shipping containers, storage sheds, etc. It is true, though, that one would need quite a bit of treatment, bass trapping especially!

I am not worried about outside interference too much...probably be sitting on a hundred acre ranch in the middle of Texas...I was hoping to see some fotos

Rolling Stones Mobile Studio. Check out Deep Purple's Machine Head.
In the DP case, it was pretty much just a truck full of gear. Maybe something of "control room" for tracking. The band was inside the building, and I'm pretty sure it was mixed in a real studio.

I've done several mixes in Pro 'bus' control rooms.

But that was MANY years ago. ;) There have been many bus studios, some great, some very poor.
1. The framing has to be 'beefed up' so that it can support the additional weight of the sound proofing mass.
2. The suspension must accomodate the additional weight (sound proofing, treatment, equipment)
3. Treatment and positioning is relatively easy compared to 1 & 2.

My question for you is; Can you afford to do it right? or is this an option because you are trying to save money??
A bus studio is usually twice as pricey as a 'fixed' room of the same caliber.

Cheers,
John

In the DP case, it was pretty much just a truck full of gear. Maybe something of "control room" for tracking. The band was inside the building, and I'm pretty sure it was mixed in a real studio.

Oh yes, quite true, but I believe the control room was inside the van. In interviews DP talked about making their way outside to listen to takes.

Oh yes, quite true, but I believe the control room was inside the van. In interviews DP talked about making their way outside to listen to takes.

Yes, a control room, but not a mixing room. And the tracking was done in the hotel with mattresses as traps.

Reminds me of when I got a new 8' x 12' pre-fab shed building put up in my backyard - someone said it would be a good place for recording (!) - and I replied, "yeah, all I need is insulation, sound treatment and electricity - and twice the room, and minus all the junk I'm keeping in it!"

Every time I drive past a camper sales place I have delusions of ripping one apart and loading my stuff into it.
Not one of the big ones. Just one built on a full size van frame.
olduncledino

Back