Has anyone used a Mackie SR24.4 in the studio?

H2oskiphil

It needs more cowbell!
I know, I know...it's a live sound board.

But I found one on fleaBay for $475 (Buy It Now), and it was too cheap to pass up.

SO....since I was looking to upgrade the fine Peavey board that's currently humming away (literally) in my studio, I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Has anyone used one of these in a studio setting? It's NOT a VLZ Pro (no XDR preamps...), but it DOES have the VLZ circuitry. Based on the pictures, I'd say it's 4 years old-it looks exactly like the one I installed at our church 4 years ago. 20 mic inputs, 2 sets of stereo ins.

20 channels of Mackie preamps for <$500 is hard to beat...

i have one

i got mine for $475 as well and thought the same thing--that's way too good a price to pass up.

mine is the VLZ (not vlzpro) version as well. the preamps are fine on it. they do a decent, quiet job. no real harsh tone, no real "warm" or "killer" tone either. not great, but not complete garbage. it's a mackie--they have their good and bad points, and that's been beaten to death.

but yeah, i use mine in a studio setting. and it does no more or less than what you'd expect a mackie to do. i tap the channel inserts for direct outs and record that way (pre-fader and pre-eq). the connections come loose/unseated on occasion and need to be reinserted--easy enough to fix, i just need to make some cables that'll function as half-way inserted TRS cables do.

so, you'll get the performance you expect from a mackie out of it, and not to mention a shitload of preamps for relatively cheap. i guess a side-bonus is that i can take it to gigs and not really worry about it not working well at that, since that's what it was designed for.

if something were to happen to it, i'd prolly upgrade. but for the price and assuming you don't expect your mackie to sound like an api, neve or ghost, you'll be fine with it. plus, if you're going to be recording a lot of novice/uneducated clients, the word "mackie" sometimes means "real high quality" to them. :p

you'll be fine. you'll out-grow it, but then you can ebay it again and get almost twice your money back. nice snag!

wade

Back