Has anyone here covered their ceiling in fabric?

New Guy

I am getting ready to cover my ceiling in a fabric and was hoping to get some ideas. Does anyone have pics of their 100% fabric covered ceiling? And if you could tell me how you did it would be great. And where did you get the fabric? Thank you in advance.

Hi Ethan, I have 6" of 703 in between the ceiling joist for 100% coverage. Now I am just wanting to cover the stuff up. I am not saying it ain't pretty, but it ain't pretty.

I've wondered the same thing for when i eventually do this in a newer house/studio with higher ceilings. Sure, you can staple the fabric, but you'll see the staples! I'd assume you'd want at least 2 others helping. 2 guys to stretch fabric evenly across as you go, and one guy stapling.

People talk about absorptive ceiling and reflective floor all the time, but I've yet to actually see a fabric covered and absorptive ceiling in person, nor in pictures.

This guy has taken a lot of time in making sure his studio looks and sounds good, and surely a bunch of staples will look nothing more than amateur and just plain ugly.

So shiny silver fabric? Anything I've stapled through like black, white, cream, red, I can see them (When wrapping fabric around the back brace of panels and stapling it). Not sure how to just staple it "properly" so you'd hide them when you're stapling directly to a ceiling joist with nowhere to hide them, but then again it wasn't my post so excuse the unintentional hi-jack.

I'm assuming you're just supposed to do it in a very uniform line, so no one notices when looking up at it from a few feet under.

I've wondered the same thing for when i eventually do this in a newer house/studio with higher ceilings. Sure, you can staple the fabric, but you'll see the staples! I'd assume you'd want at least 2 others helping. 2 guys to stretch fabric evenly across as you go, and one guy stapling.

People talk about absorptive ceiling and reflective floor all the time, but I've yet to actually see a fabric covered and absorptive ceiling in person, nor in pictures.

This guy has taken a lot of time in making sure his studio looks and sounds good, and surely a bunch of staples will look nothing more than amateur and just plain ugly.

So shiny silver fabric? Anything I've stapled through like black, white, cream, red, I can see them (When wrapping fabric around the back brace of panels and stapling it). Not sure how to just staple it "properly" so you'd hide them when you're stapling directly to a ceiling joist with nowhere to hide them, but then again it wasn't my post so excuse the unintentional hi-jack.

I'm assuming you're just supposed to do it in a very uniform line, so no one notices when looking up at it from a few feet under.

I have been out of town for the last week and just got back to this. I appreciate you helping moving it forward (not hi jacking at all). I think I have figured out how I am going to do it. I will run some wood strips across the ceiling joist in a uniform pattern. I will staple the cloth to the wood mounted strips, and then with some finish nails, I will attach some thin wood moulding over the fabric for a finished look. It should look nice.

I made some frames, stretched the fabric over the frames and then stapled on the back of the frames. The joins between the frames are fairly neat but I also had some gaps for lighting which were filled in with plain skirting board.

There is a picture in my Studio Build album on my Facebook page so PM me if you want the address.

Cheers

James.

I made some frames, stretched the fabric over the frames and then stapled on the back of the frames. The joins between the frames are fairly neat but I also had some gaps for lighting which were filled in with plain skirting board.

There is a picture in my Studio Build album on my Facebook page so PM me if you want the address.

Cheers

James.

PM sent.:thumbs up:

Back