Has anyone heard of this?

OneRoomStudios

I'm looking for a tiny portable preamp (as small as possible) that will take a mono miniplug, raise it to line level and output to stereo miniplug. Basically, I want to record some sounds on to my MD recorder which only has a line in, and the mic just isn't loud enough. I don't need a fancy or super high quality preamp, just something with low noise that's portable. If anyone knows about something that'll work, let me know. Thanks.

Oh and cheap too, being a college student puts a hamper on your spending money....

I've seen them- most are stereo in as well, and not that cheap. There may be something inexpensive out there, if there is something expensive. Google minidisc preamp. :)

If you're going for cheap and you're into electronics, a couple of batteries, a $4.00 preamp IC from Fry's, a couple of dollars worth of breadboard, a $2.00 project case, a couple of resistors to set the gain... maybe a voltage regulator just for grins... and a cheap headphone extender cable cut in half for the connectors....

The actual values of said resistors, the circuit design, etc. are left as an exercise to the (sufficiently masochistic) reader.

dgatwood said:
The actual values of said resistors, the circuit design, etc. are left as an exercise to the (sufficiently masochistic) reader.

Haha - well that would be my problem. I have a couple burr browns's laying around, I even have a nice new sony gold plated miniplug cable. The rest of the parts would be easy to get. But I have no idea how design the circuit or figure out the values I need....

Anyone want to design a basic preamp for me :D

OneRoomStudios said:
Haha - well that would be my problem. I have a couple burr browns's laying around, I even have a nice new sony gold plated miniplug cable. The rest of the parts would be easy to get. But I have no idea how design the circuit or figure out the values I need....

Anyone want to design a basic preamp for me :D

http://www.comtran.com/apps_sc.html

Back