Has anyone ever tried .....

noisedude

........ setting their EQ up like in the HR logo (top left of your browser window right now)? It looks a bit odd.

I'd like someone to strap an EQ of exactly that shape across the master buss of one of their mixes and post before and after clips in the MP3 clinic to see how terrible it sounds.

I do wonder why no-one thought of this before. :confused:

........ setting their EQ up like in the HR logo (top left of your browser window right now)? It looks a bit odd.

I'd like someone to strap an EQ of exactly that shape across the master buss of one of their mixes and post before and after clips in the MP3 clinic to see how terrible it sounds.

I do wonder why no-one thought of this before. :confused:

While on the subject. When I choose a eq setting on a stereo system I always choose what many call the smiley face setting. Similar to this

equalizer.jpg

Now my actual setting may be a little different depending on the speakers of the system. But the general shape is that. That is what sounds pleasing to me. Now I know many others will have a different setting they preferr and of course music style comes into play. But here is the question. Do you mix a song aiming to get that favorite EQ curve sound. I do and when I play my stuff in a stereo system or mp3 player I always have to set the eq or the treble,mid and bass to flat to get that sound I like. I mix stuff with that curve in mind. Does everyone else do the same ? Funny how most commercial stuff I have to use the smiley eq setting and on my mixes a flat setting will get the same effect. Does that make sense ?

Smiley face ~ disco smile ~ death scoop ~ Class A Weighting. All variations on the same theme, boosting the edges of the spectrum to make up for deficiencies in cheapo speaker design. This is something that IMHO should be reserved for playback and not automatically encoded into the mix, because it sounds like crap on quality playback systems like THX entertainment systems and the like. (Of course those that mix on NS10s would disagree, because those speakers try to force the engineer to artifically boost the edges of the spectrum.)

As far as the HR logo, the closest you'll find in a real EQ would be a 2/3rd octave EQ with 15 bands. On such an EQ, that curve would do the heavy boosting between 60 and 160Hz (give or take) and start cutting at about 600Hz with maximum cut at 1k and above. In other words it would sound the way a bad car stereo with too much subwoofer and closed windows sounds from about 20 feet away.

G.

.. But here is the question. Do you mix a song aiming to get that favorite EQ curve sound. I do and when I play my stuff in a stereo system or mp3 player I always have to set the eq or the treble,mid and bass to flat to get that sound I like. I mix stuff with that curve in mind.
Granted the tone balance on mixes are all over the map, but for the sake of this let's say there's this general norm. Now you prefer a little boom' sis' on top of that. Ok so far. So my questions would be -just to see where train leads, if you push your mix like that (big generalizations here) would that imply it's pre-shaped past or outside 'the norm' (we like to use other CDs as our ref standards for example.
More curious perhaps- would you then tend to still add the smile curve for listening to your own tracks.. Cancel the eq just for those?
:)

Granted the tone balance on mixes are all over the map, but for the sake of this let's say there's this general norm. Now you prefer a little boom' sis' on top of that. Ok so far. So my questions would be -just to see where train leads, if you push your mix like that (big generalizations here) would that imply it's pre-shaped past or outside 'the norm' (we like to use other CDs as our ref standards for example.
More curious perhaps- would you then tend to still add the smile curve for listening to your own tracks.. Cancel the eq just for those?
:)

I do find commercial releases that on a commercial stereo system I have to eq flat to get that sound I like. To name a few, Joe Satriani, Steely Dan, Metallica (Black Album), Scorpions (newer stuff,. And I guess I do use them as reference for my mixes.

Back