Has anyone considered using Close Circuit TV in lieu of a studio window?

ob

The obvious reason would be that it would obviate the large hole in the wall and the issues on building a window. But would that impact the recording process? Would the isolation be detrimental to the vibe?

or usb cameras?

I'm currently constructing an iso booth. Hardly a studio and I'll never have any clients except me and my friends but.

I'm gonna stick a pc monitor in the room so I can control the DAW from within the ISO booth and I thought hey why don't I just stick one of those USB eyballs in there too and save myself the hassle of cutting a window.

So I probably can't answer any of your questions but just wanted you to know that you're not alone in your thoughts :).

Communication needs to be 2 way. Glass provides that. CCTV doesn't, unless you have 2 monitors, and 2 cameras for each room. (i.e.: Iso, Live, Drum.....)
Sounds like an expensive endevour. Glass would be cheaper, and done right shouldn't degrade your isolation.

I've worked in studios with no visual path to the engineer (as a musician) and found it to be actually easier to deal with being alone than having someone watch. Communication was not a problem with a decent talkback system...one of these places had a Sam's Club video system installed, but it hasn't been turned on in years...no need.

Caveat-the one room in specific was VERY large, with good visual access for each of the players...musicians eyeing each other I think is more important than eye contact with the engineer.

I use a four camera setup. Control room, vocal booth, drum room and small live room
On the back of my monitor I have a video out that sends a 4 view split screen .
I then split it and send to monitors in each room
I got at Sam’s club for 340.00
Hope this helps

imo nothing beats eyecontact.

Giving visuals cues and such is waaaaay easier than audio cues
+ it disturbs concentration hearing someone say "bridge.... NOW!"
+ as a bass player I love to be able to see the drummer's hands and feet (timing) or a singer or whomever I'm playing together with.

My 2 €cents

Herwig

Good topic as I'm getting ready to finish my gararge into an additional live room. There's no way to put in a window to connect my existing live room or the controll room. What I'm going to try first is just my talk back system. Failing that i"m going to look into a multi camera/video monitor system.

Back