Has anyone checked these out?

I've never use them before so I can't comment on how they sound or how well built they are... but I too would like know what anyone has to say about them. Also, IMO I think the "all in one" type package is a great idea if they sound good... too bad the package doesn't inclued a couple of dynamic type mics too (kick and snare type mics).

Wow!

Just checked out the link. All that for $379.95? Damn! That looks like a sweet deal. A tube mic included?

Okay, so now let's see how they actually perform. I can't help you out there because I've never even heard/seen them before.

Anyway, it looks like the deal of the century. I've just done a websearch for specs and couldn't find anything. It must be pretty new. But if they're even decent performers at all, I might have to shell out $379.95. For that price, it's a sweetheart of a deal. Let's hope they're quality made and great performers.

I will be anxiously awaiting a review.

Brian

OneRoomStudios said:
I know, I know, probably too good to be true, but has anyone used any of these mics or any Apex mics in general? If they're any good, it seems like a pretty sweet deal. Obviously I'm not excecting these to replace any mics from Shure, AT, Sennheiser, etc...and they're probably even a step below the SP, MXL crowd. But then again....maybe not. I can be hopeful.

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=24310&Category=Microphones
Check on Digidesign.com in the user forum, people have really liked the Apex 435's for acoustic guitars and overheads. There are some recordings posted on their done with the Apex 435's pretty sweet on acoustics.

Good Luck
Eddie

I borrowed a 435 and a SP B1 from my local store to try out.
The 435 wasn't even that bad for $70 Canadian but I bought two B1's instead. The B1 had a clearer sound and the self noise is way lower than the 435. I do own an Apex 120 dynamic mic and it can be a nice alternative to SM57 on snare or guitar cab.

Djl...

Hey DJL,

What am I missing? I checked out the website before and just now. I selected "Products", then clicked "SP2".

I'm looking for the frequency response, S/N ratio, self-noise, max SPL, etc. of each mic and haven't been able to find any of that info.

If you could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

thanks

I've got an Apex 430.
It isn't the quietest mic in the world, and its noise floor would intermittently rise and fall. Don't know if it is based on heat, humidity, crappy components or what, but it is irritating. I like using it now as a cabinet mic, but was initially using it for vocals and acoustic - it was better in that application than my dynamics, but still lacked something.
Now I have a Rode NTK, and yes, there is a BIG difference between a low cost LDC and a higher cost LDC. (Like I expected any less :rolleyes: )
I couldn't be happier with the NTK. My D35 sounds like a D35 now :D

While I don't necessarily regret buying the 430, I can now relate to the adage "buy cheap, buy twice".

Specs are located at the apex site
Click on the mic you are interested in, then at the top of the page there is a "manuals" clickable in the middle
all available specs are located there

Check out my weblink;

My buddy recorded most of his album with the apex 430 - you can hear it on practically everything on the 'junction creek' clip. He recently got the apex tube mic, and says its a good improvement over the 430.

On the clip labelled "anna", the apex 430 was used on the acoustic guitars, and some of the percussion.

They are OK mics. Not bad, not great.

I still use the mic for kick drum, and occasionally if i want a different flavour for backing vocals. I've never had any noise problems with my 430. I agree with tecknomic - i dont regret buying the apex mic, but today there are cheap mics available that will outperform it. But hell - try em out..and tell us what you think of em ;)

Cheap Mics

raddo said:
Hey DJL,

What am I missing? I checked out the website before and just now. I selected "Products", then clicked "SP2".

I'm looking for the frequency response, S/N ratio, self-noise, max SPL, etc. of each mic and haven't been able to find any of that info.

If you could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

thanks
I'm sorry, I thought you would see it... also I see Kenny helped. Thanks Kenny. :)

teknomike said:
I can now relate to the adage "buy cheap, buy twice".
I agree, I replaced almost all my cheap mics... but be careful... that's a touchy subject with some hr.com members.

I have a 420. This mic is WAY over bright. Too much so for vocals. OK on acoustic guitar. I bought it when they first came out years ago. Had I known then what I know now I wouldn't have.

Back