Harvey's Studio Projects Reviews

Nope, right now, it seems we've misplaced all the notes we took and we're still looking for them. On the good side, Alex and I both agreed that one of the Studio Projects mics really stood out from all the others, although neither of us remembers which one it was.

I do remember that all of the Studio Project mics we tested were pretty damn nice sounding and would be very useful in a lot of situations. The B1 wasn't working at the time, so I really want to go back and repeat some of the tests to provide a really accurate comparison.

The AKG C3000B didn't fare very well in our tests, but the CAD E200 sounded pretty good (actually surprisingly good), but it was wired with reverse polarity.

The new MXL V69 did extremely well (kinda like a V67 on steroids), and the MXL990 was also pretty useful as a general purpose mic, as I recall.

Alex and I both agreed that one of the Studio Projects mics really stood out from all the others, although neither of us remembers which one it was.

YOURE KILLING ME!!!

:)

do you remember if it was a b series or c series or t3 series?

:)

Hi Harvey, I think I read you were going to do a review on all the Studio Projects mic's, plus the Marshall MXL series mic's. Anyway, I also would enjoy your review, please post it here when it's finished. Thank you very much

Oh, and I kind of think the Studio Projects C1 and Marshall MXLV67G complement each other. What I mean by complement is... because the C1 is bright and the V67 dark (in comparison to each other) having the two of them would cover many type voices. Its almost like they were made for each other, what one won't do the other one will. I'm hoping you would comment on that type of stuff also. In other words... many people can only afford 2 or 3 LDC and 2-3 SDC, etc, and need to record everything with what they've got. Please pair some mic's up for us. Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply Harvey! Any of your recollections on the review are appreciated. And if you find those notes, you've got hundreds of readers who will be hanging on your every word!

-mg

Yeah, Harvey. I´m one of those, because I want to know what do you think about MXL990.

Thanks

Tama

I've been checking everyday in hopes of reading Harvey's Marshall MXL series and Studio Projects mic review, and I also was afraid that I missed it. Anyway, it's good to know that I didn't miss the review, and its still yet to come. Harvey, please pair up some mic's for us as I asked in my above post. Thanks again.

mgraffeo said:
Thanks for the reply Harvey! Any of your recollections on the review are appreciated. And if you find those notes, you've got hundreds of readers who will be hanging on your every word!

-mg

Very true!!

-mr moon

Id dig that...much of my locker is made up from Harveys recommendations...except the mxl2001...it was the only way to get the 603s.:)

I like some of Harvey's recommendations. I think I tend to agree with them more often than I disagree.

A lot of his observations are pretty spot-on and helpful to use as a general guide or a second opinion when evaluating really inexpensive mics.

Just to add that last summer's EQ mag reviewed both SP's
B and C series mics. If I recall correctly, the reviewer preferred the C series for some applications (certain voices), but found the cheaper B-1 to be the best all-purpose SP mic and quite a deal, overall.

J.

Harvey lost his notes and doesn't own any PMI products other than a VTB-1, and I believe he has sent PMI back all their Studio Projects mics so he can't post a review without his notes even if he wanted too.

Exactly right, but I think I mentioned that I didn't find any problems with any of the mics and the B1 was a favorite for guitar cabinets for my son Alex.

We both thought the T3 was easily the best mic of the bunch, and that's what I would probably buy first from the SP line. The sound made all* of us go, "Whoa, which model is that? It sounds killer." (We tried to avoid looking at which model we were testing, or the price, to avoid possible biases.) It stood up very well against the Neumann TLM-103.

* The "all" means the 3 people doing the testing, myself, my son Alex, and Drey Taylor (our 2nd engineer).

Harvey Gerst said:
Exactly right, but I think I mentioned that I didn't find any problems with any of the mics and the B1 was a favorite for guitar cabinets for my son Alex.

We both thought the T3 was easily the best mic of the bunch, and that's what I would probably buy first from the SP line. The sound made all* of us go, "Whoa, which model is that? It sounds killer." (We tried to avoid looking at which model we were testing, or the price, to avoid possible biases.) It stood up very well against the Neumann TLM-103.

* The "all" means the 3 people doing the testing, myself, my son Alex, and Drey Taylor (our 2nd engineer).

Thanks Harvey! I just bought one of the T3's, and I'm glad to know that what I thought sounded great, also sounded "killer" to pros like yourself!!

Thanks again for helping me justify another purchase! :D

-mr moon

Back