Harvey Gerst cheap headphones

fishtop_records

I just got five of Harvey Gerst's "MoreMe" headphones.
http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

They are cheap and seem to be exactly what I wanted:
something to give the musicians when they are tracking.
They sound fine to me, mid-range is a little hyped, which
is exactly how you get "more me" into the performer's
brain.

Just $20 each. Cheap! Not as good quality as my
Sennheiser and Sony headphones, but then
the are less than one fifth the price.

Plus Harvey guarentees them.
I haven't had them long enough to know
how they will stand up in the real world
of musicians, but Harvey says they are great,
and he's been at this 25+ more years than me.

Harvey has sales propaganda on his site, I'm not
part of that, just a happy customer

those headphones are just copies of a some cheap pyramid kans...
they only cost about $5-7... i have a pair of the higher ones..
http://209.125.209.59/el//HP20.jpg

i have some hp30's.. i got um free and they have decent isolation..

Model = HP20 Professional Digital Stereo Headphones

2.25" Dynamic Speaker Element
Stereo/Mono Selector Switch
Closed-Air Cushioned Earpiece
Adjustable Reinforced Head Band
Single Side Coil Cord, 6’ Long
Frequency Response: 20Hz-18kHz
Sensitivity: 105dB @ 1kHz
Impedance: 32 Ohms Nominal
1/8” Mini Plug with 1/4” Plug Adaptor
Packed in Full Color Gift Box

MoreMe Headphones
Impedance: .................................................. 32 Ohms +/- 10%
Maximum Input Power: ................................................. 100 mW
Frequency Response: ......................................... 20 - 18,000 Hz
Sensitivity: ................................. 105 dB S.P.L. @ 1 kHz +/- 3 dB
Distortion : ................. less than 0.5% THD at 105 dB SPL at 1 kHz
Weight: ..................................................................... 56 gram
Plug: ........................ 3.5 mm Stereo (1/8th" plug, w/1/4" adapter

c9-2001 said:
those headphones are just copies of a some cheap pyramid kans...
they only cost about $5-7...

i have some hp30's.. i got um free and they have decent isolation..

I didn't like the HP-30s all that much, since the few pair I tried broke too easily, but if they work for you, that's fine. Now let me do some quoting from the original thread:

In a way, this all came about because of you guys anyway. I kept seeing a common theme on these bulletin boards about people needing stuff that worked well, but didn't have enough money to afford the best stuff out there. I've been in that spot many times before.

The problem was that I found these phones that were pretty decent, but nobody stocked them. I had to wait months to get my first five pair. I couldn't recommend them, because there was no place to buy them and the stores that said they had them, didn't. and some stores were charging $30 and $40 a pair.

That meant I had to convince a store to carry them in quantity, or sell them myself. After trying a few stores, I gave up and contacted the importer and the rest is history (maybe).

I'm picking up two more cases tomorrow, and I'm going to try to convince the distributor that I want a lock on the other 6 cases they have in stock.

At $20 each and a generous warranty (from me, not the importer) I ain't gonna get rich on these things, but a lot of people may benefit from having the "MoreMe" phones. (I was gonna call them "Cheap-a-phones" or "Trash-a-phones", but "MoreMe's" sounded better, and they really are pretty decent sounding phones.

They're too low profit for the big stores to carry, but it's no big deal to sell these (I've got more free time since we added another engineer).

See anything contradictory in any of these statements? Are they worth $20? You'll hafta decide that, but I've taken a stock set of phones that are hard to find (at any price) and made them easily available, with a generous warranty and fast service.

I've got cases of MoreMe headphones on hand to fill orders and/or repairs quickly. So far, it's cost me more than I've made, but that's okay. Eventually, it'll all even out.

And since I use them in our two studios, if they don't sell, I'll have a lifetime supply for our use.

And one final quote from the original thread:

Hell, for $20 each, buy a few pair and try them for a month or so. If you don't like them, send 'em back and I'll give you your $20 back.

So, if anybody feels ripped off by me, feel free to send them back.

Last edited:
I don't get it. Why be hostile?

I said they are cheap, Harvey says they are cheap,
the sell for $20 with a guarentee. That's cheap.
That someone else sells them for less without
a guarentee, return policy, or Harvey's good
looks, cool.

I ordered five pairs, three days and $108 later,
they show up, exactly as promissed.
No muss, no fuss.

There used to be a local music store that would
special order stuff like this for me. Until
the Guitar Centers took the meat of their
business. They are closed. No more service
locally.

Seems like a reasonable deal to me.
But if you don't, don't send him any
money.

sorry i must of come off the wrong way with my mast statement, i'll withdaw it...
$20 yea they're worth it.. i use the hp-30's in my vocal booth over my akg's b/c they don't bleed into the mic at all... they seem to be a little airy but yea they're worth $20 and with a warranty like HG is offering.. its a great deal...
i might order a pair.. the thing about the hp-30's.. the volume knobs don't always work, but hey i got um free...

c9-2001 said:
sorry i must of come off the wrong way with my mast statement, i'll withdaw it...
$20 yea they're worth it.. i use the hp-30's in my vocal booth over my akg's b/c they don't bleed into the mic at all... they seem to be a little airy but yea they're worth $20 and with a warranty like HG is offering.. its a great deal...
i might order a pair.. the thing about the hp-30's.. the volume knobs don't always work, but hey i got um free...
And that was my big gripe with the HP-30s - the pots ARE crappy, and two of the four pair I bought blew a pot out almost immediately. And those phones cost me about $30 each - just to find out how easy it was to break them - after ordering them and waiting more than a month to finally get them.

The dealer's response when I wanted replacements? "It's the factory's responsibility, not his." So what was the factory's response? "I'm not sure X is a dealer. We'll look into it and get back to you." That was months ago.

And it's things like that that make me go into business.

Wow, that's a great price, if you don't mind the pots crapping out from time to time. What's their warranty policy, and is that 2 day priority shipping?

If they're only $10, including shipping (and a decent return and repair policy), please tell everybody where to get them.

I'd gladly recommend them, with the warning about the volume pots going out very easily. If people don't play them too loud, they should work great, and I don't mind going out of business.

Last edited:
after selecting to by them they want 9.99 for shipping.. which brings the total to 21.. na.. i don't want ppl having the problems i sometimes have with the hp30's.. they get loud.. but sometimes the left will just go out.. and i have to mess with the knob to get it back on...

and more me sounds better :)
have you tried the behringer 3000's.. i heard them this afternoon and they're real nice for $20 too..

Yup, $20 - plus $10.69 for slowest shipping. I ship 2 day priority. Buying them from 8th Street with 2 day shipping would bring the price to $42.89 (UPS) or $47.05 (FedEx).

Same thing with the HPX2000 - they look like they're open back, and they have the words "for studio and DJ" in the ad. "DJ" usually means a bloated bottom end and a screechy top end - exactly what you don't want for tracking. And they'd be over $40 too, when you tack on the 2 day shipping.

c9, I don't understand what you're trying to do here. Are you saying there are lots of cheap choices available, so people shouldn't buy "MoreMe's"? Every example you've posted so far has turned out to be more expensive, with slower shipping, and uncertain repair and warranty policies. What's your point?

I think I've made it pretty clear exactly what these phones are, what they'll do (and what they WON'T do), and how I intend to run this business, with regard to shipping, repair, and warranty.

As a customer, and as a recording studio, dealing with stores on this kind of shit has pissed me off for 30 years or more, so I decided to do something about it. If you've got an important session, and something goes out, you don't wanna wait around for a RMA number, and then maybe you'll get a replacement, once they receive the defective shit and determine what the problem is, and then try to weasel their way out of any responsibility.

Everything here goes out 2 day Priority Mail, and I don't wait for stuff to come back, or for the money to get here first. If you bought the phones in the first place, that makes you a "valued customer" in my eyes. If it breaks, FOR ANY REASON, that makes you an "unhappy valued customer", and I'm gonna make it right, as fast as possible. I'll deal with the paperwork and money shit later.

Why? Because that's how I would like to be treated, if the situation were reversed.

So, if you find some cheap headphones for a good price, and the company will stand behind them like I do, tell everybody here about it, but first make sure you have your facts and actual prices right.

Your $10 HP-30s turned out to be over $20 when you add shipping, and those Behringer $20 phones (both models) turn out to be over $40 when you add in the 2 day shipping charges.

Someone with clout (like Alan Hyatt, for example) can blow me out of the water on price and quality, if he chose to do so, but he won't. He'd hafta make a large investment, sell thru his dealer chain, and even then, he wouldn't be able to offer 2 day shipping and as rapid turnaround times. It's not worth his time, but it's still a need that should be filled by somebody. I decided to try.

Last edited:
I'm interested in a couple of pairs. Two questions, Harvey...

1. Do you ship to Canada for the same price? (obviously there would be the exchange on the dollar...)

2. How soon do you see getting away from the "curly cords" and going to a straight cord? (not really a big deal, personally)

Chris

Chris Tondreau said:
I'm interested in a couple of pairs. Two questions, Harvey...

1. Do you ship to Canada for the same price? (obviously there would be the exchange on the dollar...)

Yes, but it goes airmail, since they don't seem to recognize Priority Mail. Airmail takes about 10 days. Does anybody know any faster ways?

2. How soon do you see getting away from the "curly cords" and going to a straight cord? (not really a big deal, personally)

I'd love to offer a straight long cord instead, and I'm looking into it. If I could afford to buy in a large enough quantity, I could go straight to the manufacturer. Unfortunately, the interest for this kind of product just isn't very big - either from potential customers or suppliers.

I bought hundred of these sets from my distributor - over a period of two weeks. I cleaned out both of their warehouses in two states. When I picked up their last sets of headphones in stock, I asked if they ordered more, how many, and when would they arrive. Their answer?

"Oh, yeah, we ordered more - they'll be here around June 24th." How many more did they order? "40 pair."

40 fuckin' pair? After I just bought several hundred in just the last two week period? Aaaarrrggghhhh!!

And that's the kinda problem I hafta deal with as a small seller. Nobody really gives a crap about this market or these quantities. I've got plenty of phones in stock. (I've still got way more than I've sold, just because I knew this kinda shit can, and does, happen.) It's a low profit item for them, so they don't care whether I'm unhappy or not.

So Chris, the real problem is just making sure I can keep them in stock, and I'll work on getting a straight cord if the numbers get up to where I have some clout with the manufacturer.

Chris

i don't have a problem with more me... i'd personally take some more me's over some other headphone out for tracking..and since i have the hp30's i know the isolation on the more me's is damn good.. bottom line no one iis gonna stop you.. 2 day shipping, a decent product at a great price and a great warranty... i simply asked if you tried/heard the behringer 3000's... i wasn't saying they're better, ppl buy them over more me..
more me headphones seem to be a decent product with a strong man behind them, hope you do well with them... in the near feature i'm starting a few companies, maybe you'll be one of the first to test/review a product.

Thanks Harvey!

Wow... same day reply too! I think I'm going to order a couple of pairs then. I'm not really too concerned about the curly cord, as I have a few 20ft headphone extension cords which are straight. If I need any distance out of my headphones, those will do the trick.

I'm REALLY glad that shipping to Canada is not only available, but costs the same. I was looking at the Behringers that have been discussed, as my budget is decidedly tight, but I've decided on the More Me's. :D

So it takes ten days.... big deal. The warranty and the isolation make up for it. (and the reputation of the manufacturer ;-) )

Chris

Yeah, it runs around the same price, but there's gotta be a better way to ship into Canada than the US Post Office's Air Mail service. I just haven't found it yet.

Back