Harvey - 10 mics test - results?

toorglick

Harvey, seeing as I can't search this site right now and the thread at the Rec Pit is locked, would you mind steering me somewhere where I can find the results of that test you did with the girl's voice through 10 mics (I think it was 10)? Thank you.

toorglick said:
Harvey, seeing as I can't search this site right now and the thread at the Rec Pit is locked, would you mind steering me somewhere where I can find the results of that test you did with the girl's voice through 10 mics (I think it was 10)? Thank you.
The 10 mics compared were:

1. Neumann TLM103
2. Coles 4038
3. MXL990
4. Beyer Soundstar MK II
5. AEA R84
6. MXL V67G
7. Shure SM-7
8. MXL V69ME
9. Earthworks SR-71
10. MXL V77

We conducted two test runs. Her father is a singer and I recorded him thru all 10 mics, two at a time, on separate channels. After each two mic pass, I had his daughter come in and record on the same two mics before I switched to the next two mics. No eq or effects were used. After all 20 mic tracks had been recorded, they left, and I put them into CoolEdit, where I made sure all the levels were matched, and then, I created 20 random mono tracks, without identifying which mic was which.

The daughter prefered the 990, the V69ME, the TLM103, and the AEA R84 for her voice.

The father prefered the V77, the SR-71, the Coles, and the V67G for his voice.

Back