Hardware vs Software

frequency_

Is in your opinion better (in terms of sound quality) using hardware for adding reverb, delay, compression, or other FX, or could software do the job well? eg. pro tools plugins...
*not talking about EQ

That's a very very vague question. If you're talking vintage 1176's or fairchilds or old Neve stuff (hell even new stuff) against lower grade plugins of course hardware will win. It's really about expensive plugins versus cheaper hardware (hardware will always be more expensive). If you're talking a Waves plugin versus a Berry EQ, I think the Waves takes it. I would also say there is NO such thing as a bad piece of hardware/software. Hell, use a lame mic to get intended distortion on a track, sing into a beta52, use a free bit-crusher to make a guitar part weird....rule of thumb:

If is sounds good, it IS good.

Just my .02

-Joel

Plugins have come a long way, but top notch hardware still adds something tonally that plugins can't. I use both hardware and plugins, but I'm selective about both.

If you are using ProTools then Steve Massey's plugins are a must, inmy opinion. Great stuff and very inexpensive compared to Waves and many other plugins.

for adding reverb, delay, compression, or other FX,
I'm a hardware freak when it comes to most dynamics and EQ functions.

Delay, verb, modulation effects and such though... Even with hardware, it's normally just a digital algorithm throwing the calculations (unless you're flanging with a R2R deck or have access to a reverb chamber or plate unit). So the line gets really blurry there...

I think technology is at the point where you can get good sound from both hardware and software. Even a lot of free plugins are good if you can get it out of your head that they automatically suck or degrade the sound simply because they're free.

Then again, there are a lot of shitty plugins also (same old algorithms being put into a different GUI) and also a lot of shitty hardware units (mostly the really cheap ones).

Depends what you're doing I guess and what sound you're after. Speaking generally, if you can't get a usable sound out of a plugin then it's probably not the software or you haven't spent enough time learning it or finding the right one.

For Compression and Limiting I would have to say the right hardware does in fact have more to offer.
The Summit Audio Comps/Limiters and EQs do a very good job and I don't think any plug can completely replace that kind of hardware.
However, the Waves V-Series and API Bundle do have some nice Comps and EQs that are very usable.

Plugins have come a long way, but top notch hardware still adds something tonally that plugins can't. I use both hardware and plugins, but I'm selective about both.

If you are using ProTools then Steve Massey's plugins are a must, inmy opinion. Great stuff and very inexpensive compared to Waves and many other plugins.

I checked out those Massey plug-ins and seem to be a great bang for your buck.
I'm going to give 'em a try.
Any Suggestions or tips on using them?

Back