Hardware Synths to DAW using Audio Interface

jconradi

Hello, so I currently have an Audiobox USB interface, the 2x2 one. I use Reason 9. I want to start getting into hardware synths, to get that vintage sound. I want to pick up the Korg Microkorg, and the Roland JX-03 synth module to use with the K-25m mini-keyboard, out of the Boutique pack.

Now, since reason has the External MIDI instrument option inside the rack, what do I need to connect all of these at the same time? Am i going to need some additional cables or something??? I'm not trying to use the 2 synths as MIDI controllers, I'm trying to record the sounds from the actual instruments into the DAW. Like I said, its for sure possible with the external MIDI option within reason, but how do I connect all these things to get it all working?

Thanks

Record it as you would any other instruments. You have plenty of tracks available, but it seems like you have a lack of inputs.

Hi,
The korg has a pair of line outputs over 1/4" so that's that.
Roland has USB or 1/8" mini jack so you'll probably want to get a 1/8" stereo/balanced to 2x 1/4" mono/unbalanced (all male) adapter for that.

The audio interface has XLR inputs for microphones and 1/4" inputs for instruments so it's not really ideal, but it'll work. Stick with 1/4" plugs at that end.
You'll just need to get the input gain right, which wouldn't be the case with normal line inputs.

Hi,
The korg has a pair of line outputs over 1/4" so that's that.
Roland has USB or 1/8" mini jack so you'll probably want to get a 1/8" stereo/balanced to 2x 1/4" mono/unbalanced (all male) adapter for that.

The audio interface has XLR inputs for microphones and 1/4" inputs for instruments so it's not really ideal, but it'll work. Stick with 1/4" plugs at that end.
You'll just need to get the input gain right, which wouldn't be the case with normal line inputs.

So i should be fine connecting everything with the equipment I already have? No need to purchase anything additional?

I don't know what cables you have and, as I say, the instrument level input isn't ideal but...yeah.
If you've got the cables, the gear you listed will do the job for one stereo synth at a time or two mono synths at once.

Just to add, any external midi options or anything like that won't be relevant.
You're recording audio so you'll want to be using audio tracks.

External midi is most likely for allowing you to play your keyboard and trigger the synths in reason,
or play out recorded/written midi data to trigger your hardware synths.
If you want to do the latter you will need a 5pin midi cable too.

One thing you may need, if you want MIDI from the DAW to drive your sound, then you will need to daisy chain all of your instruments with MIDI (In/Out). MIDI will come from either a controller or your DAW, sound will come from your MIDI instruments into the DAW as a regular analog signal.

If this is what you want, and I suspect it is, you need to do a little research on MIDI and how to set channels and such. But, I would only record one instrument at a time so you can keep them on separate tracks.

Example, you have MIDI in your DAW for the KORG, set up the instrument your want in the KORG (it is possible to send events, but pre-setting the sound from the instrument is easier for now), send your MIDI from the DAW to the KORG (MIDI out from interface to MIDI in to the KORG), have the KORG analog outs plugged into the interface, arm two audio tracks *or stereo inputs) to receive the signal, start recording. There might be a delay that you may have to nudge back to get it to sync, but it should be simple to do.

Hope that helps a little.

Back