Hardware compressors?

ecktronic

Mixing and Mastering.
Hi,
I am looking into buying a hardware compressor mainly for vocals, and I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on what to get.
I am looking for something along the cheaper end of the scale and was wondering if there are any hardware comps out there that are decent for a low price compared to using plug-ins.

Cheers,
G

ART's Pro VLA (you might need to go through a few to find a good one), FMR's RNLA are a couple in the "unbelievably inexpensive" category. Probably a nod to the RNLA, as it doesn't have a weird tube stage and it sounds exactly the same every time you use it.

+1 to the ART Pro & FMR RNC

I slightly prefer the Pro VLA over the RNC as it is two channel (Dual mono or stereo for the VLA, Single channel or stereo for the RNC) and is a little less transparent than the RNC, it adds some flavor to the sound

but either one is a good choice, I have owned and used both but stuck with the VLA for more options

Last edited:
for $550 these ones seem really nice. I've never used them, but some people here love them, and this is my next purchase. The first one is a FET based compressor the second a VCA. I love FET compressors (like the 1176) on vocals.

1176 and Distressers are great for rock vocals but they're $2K+ the overstayers seem like they will get really close to the same vibe for a lot less. Some people might say an RNC, but they are just boring for vocals. You might as well stick with the transparent plugins your DAW has. RNC will work and is great for a lot of things, just not very interesting for vocals.

RNLA and PBC-6A are cool too but the PBC is pushing $500...the RNLA is probably the best of the mega-cheap for $249.

Overstayer Recording Equipment - Stereo Compressor

Overstayer Recording Equipment - Stereo Dynamics Processor

oh and if you're looking for a cool cheap plugin that will work for anything (vocals, drums, guitars, buss) the stillwell rocket is awesome. And I really like the major tom for vocals specifically. These may not be hardware, but they have a lot of the sound of hardware units I use for $25!

The Rocket | Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound

Major Tom | Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound

I own a VLA and a couple RNCs and out of those choices, I'd go with the VLA (first) on vocals. However, there is nothing wrong with plug-ins and in fact, IMO for the cost of a VLA or any FMR product you could buy a much better compressor plug-in than those "budget" hardware boxes.

For example: The Softube FET compressor.

Thanks all I'll look into this. I had the art tube pre-amp which was like £30, not exactly great but worked as a DI box as well so not bad lol.

I think I am looking for a compressor that colours the input rather than transparent.

Cheers,
G

I own a VLA and a couple RNCs and out of those choices, I'd go with the VLA (first) on vocals. However, there is nothing wrong with plug-ins and in fact, IMO for the cost of a VLA or any FMR product you could buy a much better compressor plug-in than those "budget" hardware boxes.

For example: The Softube FET compressor.

I use hardware and software compressors. I find for some things software is fine, but to me the Pro VLA may be low cost but it is anything but cheap sounding. Even when using 1178's, DBX 160vu, Valley People, ADR etc I still find this compressor is great for many things as long as used gently. By the way, if anyone is interested, I have written a tutorial on understanding and using compressors that may help people in learning what they are all about and how to use them.

I use hardware and software compressors. I find for some things software is fine, but to me the Pro VLA may be low cost but it is anything but cheap sounding. Even when using 1178's, DBX 160vu, Valley People, ADR etc I still find this compressor is great for many things as long as used gently. By the way, if anyone is interested, I have written a tutorial on understanding and using compressors that may help people in learning what they are all about and how to use them.

Rocksure, like I said I own a VLA and never said I didn't like its flavor. I was merely pointing out that for the say cost you could get (IMO) a better (plug-in) compressor. Buying a VLA for 250 bucks gets you 2 channels, where as buying a good plug-in (for about the same price) would not only get you a better compressor, it would give you many more instantiations. Overall, the plug-in is a bigger bang for the buck.

Rocksure, like I said I own a VLA and never said I didn't like its flavor. I was merely pointing out that for the say cost you could get (IMO) a better (plug-in) compressor. Buying a VLA for 250 bucks gets you 2 channels, where as buying a good plug-in (for about the same price) would not only get you a better compressor, it would give you many more instantiations. Overall, the plug-in is a bigger bang for the buck.

I both agree and disagree with you at the same time ..if that makes sense. I agree that for the money a plugin compressor can be used on way more simultaneous tracks than a Pro VLA (or any other compressor) which may be desirable in many instances. However, I disagree that plugin compressors ( even expensive ones) are necessarily "Better"...they're just different. I use both as I said earlier. But, personally I would rather have a Pro Vla with it's analog circuitry and valves on my master buss following my summing mixer, massaging the signal gently before returning it to the computer than any plug in compressor. Also, on the way in during recording tracks , it is a nice compressor on many things...and that (recording with compression) is something you can't do with plugins very easily. But we each have different ideas and different ways of working, so I guess neither of us is necessarily right or wrong.....just working differently and in ways that suit us best.

I both agree and disagree with you at the same time ..if that makes sense. I agree that for the money a plugin compressor can be used on way more simultaneous tracks than a Pro VLA (or any other compressor) which may be desirable in many instances. However, I disagree that plugin compressors ( even expensive ones) are necessarily "Better"...they're just different. I use both as I said earlier. But, personally I would rather have a Pro Vla with it's analog circuitry and valves on my master buss following my summing mixer, massaging the signal gently before returning it to the computer than any plug in compressor. Also, on the way in during recording tracks , it is a nice compressor on many things...and that (recording with compression) is something you can't do with plugins very easily. But we each have different ideas and different ways of working, so I guess neither of us is necessarily right or wrong.....just working differently and in ways that suit us best.

you'd use the VLA on a master buss? hmm. There are no wrong answers and if you like it's right, but that just seems weird to me.

There are a bunch of plugs that work wonderfully on master buss. In fact, in the budget range, I'd guess more people are better off with a decent plug in buss compressor...if you want a good hardware one, they get really expensive.

you'd use the VLA on a master buss? hmm. There are no wrong answers and if you like it's right, but that just seems weird to me.

I sum all my mixes OTB. Between the summing mixer and the converters returning the signal to the computer, I have a VLA. It is hardly compresssing at all. Usually between a half a dB and about 1dB. It is just applying a moderate smoothing. I have the ratio turned down to the minimm (2:1) and the threshold set at about -7 or so. For the type of sound I am going for, I always prefer this approach to any totally ITB mixes I ever do. The combination of the summing amps and this compressor at this setting works nicely for me. It begins to give me more of the analog flavour of classic records that I love. (If I want even more of that vibe I send the mixes to 1/4" tape as well). However, if I try to compress any harder than about -1 1/2 dB with the VLA on the master buss, it begins to become mushy and lacks distinction. I am not a fan of hard compressing or limiting a master buss anyway. I prefer to leave that for the mastering stage of the proceedings.

Back