Hardware Compressor vs. Tascam DP-02

JRSIV

JRSIV Music Ltd.
I want to use my Behringer compressor with my Tascam DP-02. The Tascam has no inserts and using the aux sends is out of the question as the sole send is being used with my Digitech Studio Quad (the internal effects on the DP-02 are the drizzling sh*ts) and having some of the original signal mixed with the compressed would be moot anyway.

Is going mic to preamp to compressor to mixer really the best way? I know some say tracking vox or bass with compression is a bad idea but if there are no inserts or compression utility on the unit...what do I do if I DO want something compressed for practical or artistic reasons?

You should use the effects sends on that unit...you should allways track without effects so you can have the option of adding them later...if you do it on the way in...you are stuck with it.

Won't using the aux sends on the DP02 mix some of the uncompressed signal with the compressed signal from the unit? I guess I could set it to be 100% wet, etc... but it just seems unwieldy to me. I've always heard to avoid using dynamics equipment with effects sends/returns. I've also heard that using a comp inline (mic to preamp to comp to mixer) is also less than ideal. Inserts are where it's at but on the DP02 there are none...Thats why I held on to my Tascam 488mkII for so long. It had inserts, great EQ, 8 tracks...everything you'd want in a demo machine. Except sound quality.:mad:

Back