Harder Rock than the last one--Crutch

mrface2112

Would love some feedback on this one too. It's a good bit crunchier than the last, which should appeal to the lot of you. :p

Crutch

cheers,
wade

I can't stand the snare sound, sounds like the snares are too loose, or the drummer has no idea how to hit it, which is possibly causing the boxiness. If you aren't re-tracking then I highly suggest you hit your reverb bus hard, or harder. In fact, drums as a whole could use some more verb.

I don't know if your compressing the vocal already. If you are I suggest hitting the ratio a little harder. There are some parts (words like "die") that pop out and really irritate me, especially since the following few words are a lot softer.

Otherwise its a pretty damn good and consistent mix. Well done.

Ben

blech, i don't like the snare sound much either. and trust me, i know how to hit a snare. :D

it's just that the drum wasn't singing too well that day (it's a 60's ludwig wood snare and quite tempermental), and my other snares (metal ludwig and larger metal pearl) didn't fit the song at all. i'm not planning on retracking, but i may gog it if i can't make it pop a little better with some compressors and eq. i'm glad someone else hated it too b/c it's been buggin me.

i tend to mix drums a pretty dry, but i'll definitely throw some more reverb on them--you're right, they could use it.

the vocals......he's not exactly got the concept of mic technique down yet.....and can't ever seem to remember to pull his head back when he gets louder--he's still a bit of a newbie with respect to that. i rode the gain on the mic pre while tracking, b/c putting a compressor in the chain (even conservatively set) squashed too much during the loud parts (namely the "die" as you noted).

admittedly, i didn't ride the vocal fader at all during the mix (or draw any automation) as i was in a hurry. ;) i worked on that some last night and it's better, but i'm not quite done with it--i'll post a remix tomorrow. i was about 85% happy with this initial mix and figured i'd go ahead and post it, warts and all.

for the record, i played the drums, bass, the right-hand rhythm guitar, and the crunchy rhythm guitars. the lead guitar, left-hand rhythm and vocals were done by my co-conspirator (our lead guitarist). clean lead tones were done through my Champ and his Blues Jr, and the dirty lead at the end was also the BJr which i distorted a little more at the mix. bass was direct.

i appreciate the comments--keep em coming! glad to hear that the mix is pretty solid overall, as this was "mix #1".....so i think i'm finally starting to learn these ASP8's. ;)

cheers,
wade

Back