Harddrive failure on a HD24

killmachine

Check this out,

We had issues out of the box with the factory hd that came with the machine. Alot of times it wouldn't mount up the first go or it would read "check jumper". This we did and put it in the right spot. We had not bought a new hd for it yet because $ was tight

Anyway, a few weeks ago we set up 2 mics to record a new song we had writen for our personal band. Machine was in the same room along with everything else. Got our signal up and comfortable then we pressed record didn't even play any notes. machine read "write timeout" after about 10 seconds. It did this three times then I dismounted the hd and put it in the other drive slot mounted up and read "Incorrect format", "press Y/N to format drive". We had tried this before and the same thing happened minus the bad format issue. I tried everything I could think of for about 3 days before I called alesis.

THE BAD PART WAS I HAD ABOUT 11 HARDDRIVE HOURS OF OUR STUFF PLUS 2 OTHER BANDS STUFF ON IT. The only thing that rectified the issue in some regard was we already had about 3 mixes of all the songs with very minor issues to work out so all was not lost, but it was in one way or the other.

Alesis said:
" Sounds like a bad hd", yawn sniffle, " you should have been backing up your work". "have you updated the firmware". Hmmm go figure, ran software reset.

Basically we ended up screwed.

You might still be able to read the drive using either Marc Brevoort's tools or the Alesis Fireport.

Hopefully you haven't formatted the drive yet.

no I havn't formated the drive Alesis style. We are working on the fireport issue. However, we did hook up the drive as a slave to the comp which was also presented by the yawning folks at Alesis. It read "no space allocated on drive" so ( Iam by no means a computer guru) we took that as basically meaning it was empty. Especially since on a 40 gig drive it read that 38.9 gig were available.

The only conclusion which is only somewhat legit is that for some reason the vibrations may have caused the drive caddy to bounce around and dislodged it slightly. On the other hand everyone always talks about how they are so great for live recording. BLAH

Dude, the hard drive is bad! It was bad when you got it. You should have IMMEDIATELY got another hard drive, or returned the unit to get another one, or whatever.

But you are pissing and moaning, and basically, you were tracking to a KNOWN bad hard drive, and you weren't even backing up your work!

I have NO sympathy for you if you are working on a fucking hard drive that you had problems with from day 1 and you weren't backing up your work! That is totally stupid and insane!

What is Alesis supposed to do for you? They will replace the hard drive I am sure, but you can't seriously think they owe you anything more than that!!! It is definitely not their fault that you weren't backing up your work, and didn't return the hard drive SOONER for a replacement. You basically screwed yourself!

Whatever..........

I have had at times hard drives say " HD reset failed, check jumper". I just stuff it in gain a few times and it goes. Probably half a dozen hard drives in the past year. Everything is backed up right away so it isnt a real big deal . You seem to have a bit more going on than my situation I think.

jmorris said:
I have had at times hard drives say " HD reset failed, check jumper". I just stuff it in gain a few times and it goes. Probably half a dozen hard drives in the past year. Everything is backed up right away so it isnt a real big deal . You seem to have a bit more going on than my situation I think.

Mine did that at a live recording gig Saturday when I powered it up. I "re-stuffed" the hard drives a couple times, same thing. Then I "swapped holes" with them, worked perfect, no problem after that the rest of the night.

gtrman, yep, I have "swapped holes" also. Not sure if it helped as I put the HD back and forth, in and out so many times. I always bring a spare HD on the live gig recordings. If its REALLY inportant, I have brought 2 extras.

Always, always do backups. I keep everything considered important on 2 separate HD24 drives, as well as later backing them up to a PC from where they get burned to CD-ROM's. Overkill? You can't do overkill when it comes to backups.

yeah, i've had that "check jumper" message a number of times, like it matters what i wear, a restuffing of the drive normally sorts it with a desperate sense of panic proportional to the occasion

killmachine said:
no I havn't formated the drive Alesis style. We are working on the fireport issue. However, we did hook up the drive as a slave to the comp which was also presented by the yawning folks at Alesis. It read "no space allocated on drive" so ( Iam by no means a computer guru) we took that as basically meaning it was empty. Especially since on a 40 gig drive it read that 38.9 gig were available.

If the drive isn't formatted the way the computer is expecting, it won't recognize that there is data on the drive. It will read as empty. There is a reasonable chance the data is still recoverable.

gtrman_66 said:
Mine did that at a live recording gig Saturday when I powered it up. I "re-stuffed" the hard drives a couple times, same thing. Then I "swapped holes" with them, worked perfect, no problem after that the rest of the night.

Noted, thanks.

Ford Van said:
Dude, the hard drive is bad! It was bad when you got it. You should have IMMEDIATELY got another hard drive, or returned the unit to get another one, or whatever.

But you are pissing and moaning, and basically, you were tracking to a KNOWN bad hard drive, and you weren't even backing up your work!

I have NO sympathy for you if you are working on a fucking hard drive that you had problems with from day 1 and you weren't backing up your work! That is totally stupid and insane!

What is Alesis supposed to do for you? They will replace the hard drive I am sure, but you can't seriously think they owe you anything more than that!!! It is definitely not their fault that you weren't backing up your work, and didn't return the hard drive SOONER for a replacement. You basically screwed yourself!

Whatever..........

I think that's what they call 'rubbing it in.'

Alesis HD24Xr "HD reset failed check jumper" trick

I'd like to share my experience; hope this helps somebody not to waste some hours like I did.
Well, I finally decided time had come to try the ViPower caddy (VP-15-133)- (Alesis' too expensive, can't understand why).
I bet also on using on my HD24XR the largest EIDE drive still available in the nearest store: a WD5000AVJB. 'cause EIDE drives are disappearing, as we all know, I bought a couple of them.
My setup:
HD24XR, OS 1.20, boot 1.00
WD5000AVJB 500GB EIDE hard disk (by Western Digital)into a
ViPower caddy (VP-15-133)
Fireport and FST connect ver 1.01
MAc OS 10.3.4 on a G4 933

1: setting the jumper on HD; I removed it (“single” configuration). The drive was rejected the HD24. “HD reset failed check jumper". I still wanted it formatted by the machine. Changed the jumper configurations trying ALL the settings (including "slave" ones), but couldn't escape. So...
2. Back to no-jumper (“single” configuration); FST connect via Fireport saw the drive. I formatted it; gave it a name, as well as to a project and a song.(By the way, in my system on a Mac, "FST connect" sw works only if neither any other external drive is on nor other application. Back to the HD24.
3. The HD24 still rejected the drive displaying “HD reset failed check jumper" error message.
4.Checked same drive into an original Alesis caddy into the HD24. No change.
5. Checked a tested HD24 drive in the ViPower caddy into the HD24; it worked.
6.Tried once again different jumper settings; the error message, correctly, warned me about "slave" jumper setting on HD, or “HD reset failed check jumper" .
7.This, I know, predictable trick finally solved the problem. I picked up some audio files from a small HD24 session I backed up, and via FST connect via Fireport, in "Mac-->ADAT FST" mode, I transferred them to the HD.
8. Now the HD24XR is able to load the HD and I can record/read on it. Did a test recording at the same time 24 tracks at 48KHZ and 12 tracks 96KHz SR for about 17 minutes. Everything seems to work fine.
9. The large 500GB drives I'm succesfully using on the HD24XR are:
- 500GB WD5000AAKB WD Caviar SE16
http://www.westerndigital.com/it/products/products.asp?driveid=297

- 500GB ST3500630A Seagate barracuda 7200.10
http://discountechnology.com/Seagate-500GB-IDE-ATA-100-Hard-Drive

- 500GB WD AV EIDE hard drive (WD5000AVJB)
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=289

best regards to all you folks

You and Me are totally in agreement here. That is exactly my habit. 2 hard drives where I back up all my songs in duplicate and, I do it after each song is tracked.

Back