Harddrive conflicts!Important problem!NEED HELP!

polaroid

Hy!

I have the cubase 5(32VST), runing in a pentium II 400 Mhz, with 396Mb RAm, and one HD with 4Gb. My Hd was to small, so I put another with 20Gb. I have read in many audio setup helpers, that a second disk for audio recording is the best choice for me. So I bought it!

the problem:

For the test, i put a session with 20 chanels, 40 wav´s, with a perfect runing in my old HD.

So..., for a new test with the new HD, i paste the session with wav´s for that HD. A disaster!!!! Is like there is no enough buffer ...... many jumps when playing!

This isn´t right??? A second disk just for recording is the best choice, right?

I don t no how to manager this!!

Can you help me?

thanx

JH

Not all hard drives are the same.

Your new hard drive might be conciderably slower than your old one.

Make sure your new hard drive runs at 7200 rpm, if you can take it back and get a different one. You might also try putting it on a different cable inside your computer so that your 2 drives are on separate cables.

There might be other things that are wrong, too, but these are the only things I could think of.

Good luck,
Chris

(Duh! I actually posted this the first time without finishing my sentance! The boss must have been coming...)

Last edited:
HD Conflict

This sounds more like a symptom of something else with the system. Mare sure there aren't any IRQ, DMA conflicts in device manager. This could be a symptom of your sound card conflicting with something else. Also make sure that DMA is selected in device manager under disks - ide drive.

I recently hada similar problem that I've resolved so far by disabling all startup services using the system information utility (type msinfo32 from the start\run) then choose tools, system configuration utility.

In this case it appears that some of the services that were starting up were conflicting with my sequencing SW.

IDE!!!

i have c: and d: sharing the same IDE(1), the first in master mode and the second in slave mode.

c: with the win system and all aplications (DMA on, 4Gb)

d: with the cubase sessions (DMA off, 20Gb)

IDE(2) is pluged to the cd-rw

Any sugestion??

thanx!

JH

Yeah...

Put your OS HD as the master on the primary IDE controller (like you have it now). Put your CD-RW as the slave on the primary IDE, and put your audio HD as the master on your secondary IDE.

I don't know that this will fix your problems, but that is the best way to configure it. If you also have a CD-ROM, put that as the slave on the secondary controller.

HD Conflict

Two separate drives tends to work best, programs on on and data on the other. This way your OS and sequencing SW are not fighting for the same space. Along with having your CD as a secondary device, make certain that it's MT. CDs are notorious for hogging valuable memory even when they're not in use.

Back