Hardcore / Punk - New Mix.

inmyheartx

Let me know what you dudes think. I haven't posted anything in a while, and i've changed the way I do a lot of stuff now.

Let me know what you think of the mix. The band is a little sloppy, young, and just starting out so don't mind that, ha.

Peace.

Lots of timing flaws and flubs. For as awful and shitty as they are, the vocals can come up some. Drums have a nice presence, but the kick sounds kind of basketball-ish. Maybe bring down some of the very low frequencies. Guitars sound great tone-wise. Not bad overall.

For as awful and shitty as they are, the vocals .....

Thats a bit unfair....
If you mean the vocal style, it does mention HARDCORE/Punk.

Personally, i like it.
You've got a Gallows meet refused type thing going on.

The guitars get a bit monotonous after a while so you might want to mess around with that a bit. Otherwise, it great!

Thats a bit unfair....
Uh, I get that. It's not just the style. I'm down with hardcore punk. It's the delivery. It sounds forced, fake, and bad. It's the performance, not the genre or mix.

Lots of timing flaws and flubs. For as awful and shitty as they are, the vocals can come up some. Drums have a nice presence, but the kick sounds kind of basketball-ish. Maybe bring down some of the very low frequencies. Guitars sound great tone-wise. Not bad overall.

Thanks for listening dude. I did think the vocals could come up a bit too, but after turning them up, I found that leaving them down sounds a lot better (for this demo of theirs). You're right, the vocalist was forcing his performance, which is why they sound better a little lower.

I agree on the Kick too, i'll try to take some of the low end out of it, maybe dip a frequency in the mid / upper mid very slightly.

About the guitars, do you like the actual capturing of them -- the way they sit in the mix, the tone, the feel, etc? I've started doing guitars completely different so that's a big part of what i'm trying to get feedback from.

Anyway, thanks again. =]

Peace.

Thats a bit unfair....

Personally, i like it.
You've got a Gallows meet refused type thing going on.

The guitars get a bit monotonous after a while so you might want to mess around with that a bit. Otherwise, it great!

Thanks for listening man. I can't really help the guitars being monotonous, this isn't my band or anything -- just my friends that wanted to record, ha. =]

Peace.

About the guitars, do you like the actual capturing of them -- the way they sit in the mix, the tone, the feel, etc? I've started doing guitars completely different so that's a big part of what i'm trying to get feedback from.

Anyway, thanks again. =]

Peace.
I pretty much like everything about them. They're in your face and not retardedly distorted or reverbed. Whatever you did, keep doing it.

I pretty much like everything about them. They're in your face and not retardedly distorted or reverbed. Whatever you did, keep doing it.

Well thanks dude I really appreciate that. =]

I'll be recording my band next month and we're a little more rehearsed than this band, so when I do you can check that out. =]

Just as a musical note, I know it's not your band, but maybe something that would help the vocals is doubling them in certain areas? It seems like for the way the vocalist's performance is, they could have more body or something...hard to put my finger on...

Hi,

Sound
I really like the guitar sound !!

Vocals need to come up !!
Try to double the track add a gigantic amount of compression and mix it with the original. Maybe even add a guitar simulator on the voice with some crunch distortion on the voice.

These kind of vocals tend to be too loud and too quiet at the same time, so you really need to compress the living shit out of it.

Performance:
Next time maybe add some more attention to timing issues, play everything to metronome.
If there are any tempo changes, program the tempo changes.
It takes a shit load of work but it's worth it !

Song writing / Production
The song can benefit from more alternating riffs and a more dynamic writing.
Try playing less in some parts to accentuate the more in the harder parts!
Less = notes instead of chords.
*my humble opinion*

Good mix overall !!

the quality could not be more perfect for a hardcore band. the whole rough awesome sound of the guitars and vocals. so youve done nothing wrong man, its everything it should be except TURN UP THE GANG VOCALS! ;)

the band just lacks the anger of a real hardcore band.

the drummer needs to play something a bit more hardcorey in the song and for some reason the guitarists are lacking like punch to their playing. i cant place whats missing to be honest.

The vocals can be turn down a tad. I actually enjoyed it alot. That is the beauty with punk rock, it does not need to sound perfect. Just listen to some old school 80's punk on vinyl. Great job on the mixing

peace

I'd take down the overheads just a smidge and maybe pan the guitars a little less hard (like maybe 80/80 or 75/75), and you definitely need to up the vocals, regardless of performance, but other than that, this is pretty much how old schoolish hardcore is supposed to sound! (Well, sonically :p)

I hate to post just to agree with everyone else, but I thought you'd like to know that folks are listening:

The guitars do sound great. I like the drums too, very big and "animal-esque." And yes the vocal should come up.

Very nice job though...

Back