Hardcore: I can't get my vocals to sit nicely in the mix (track included)

Tyler Serino

I've been into the audio engineering scene for almost a year. The screams seem to be taking place nicely in the mix (this is still rough), but the clean lead vocals i can't get to sound good no matter what. We've done a lot of takes. I've used tones of different eq's with different values, i've used vocal rider, jjp, masateri, waves multiband compressors, etc etc. It just wont sit in the mix. I've changed the mix of the instruments and screams as well to try and mold it all together nicely but no luck. I try to give it that higher harmonic sound to give it clarity and it sounds raw but the second i add mid or low end its completely roomy. Also, i know this sounds pretty good in my environment,(aside from lead cleans) and others i've brought it to listen in, but always sounds dreadful out of headphones. It's not fully finished, i know the screams need to be put in timing at places towards the end plus other glitches samples and ideas i have will be added. I just want to know what you hear, and why my vocals may not be sitting in the mix.

soundcloud {.} com /tylerserino /rough < havent made 10 posts yet, sorry bout that

Nice plugins for only being in the "engineering scene" for a year. You must have lots of money.

Didn't steal them, did you? ;)

Cheers :)

Back