Hardcore/heavy mix (Contains F-word/screaming)

Sounds really nice, some good ol'school HC is never bad. Just don't tell me they are scrawny little emo kids...

What's the name of the band?

Polska_77 said:
Sounds really nice, some good ol'school HC is never bad. Just don't tell me they are scrawny little emo kids...

What's the name of the band?

They're not scrawny at all. Legit kids.

They're called The Decline.

dude what the hell did you use for bass. fucking awesome man, fill me in. overall mix sounds pretty killer. im diggin your guitar tones.

Sounds good!
I'd like to know a little about how it was tracked and mixed.

I think the tom sounds a bit whimpy when it's hitting about 1/2 way through the song.
More snare! It sounds great, but just not loud enough.

producerkid said:
dude what the hell did you use for bass. fucking awesome man, fill me in. overall mix sounds pretty killer. im diggin your guitar tones.

I had this idea for a bass tone in my head and I was reallllly hoping we could get it. Then I went to see them play live and low and behold.. THAT'S THE BASS TONE! It's a crappy rig, but it had THE tone I wanted. It's just a MIM P-Bass with fresh strings into a Hartke HA-2000 into a Crate 2x15 cab. I don't know why it sounds like that, but it's perfect. I just mic'd it up with a D112 and fiddled with some knobs on the head and it was perfect.

For processing, I used RennEQ with a radical curve(Scooped with a big boost on either end. Also, pre-comp.), compressed it heavily with Waves RVox, then ran it through the Antress Modern Series* LA2A plug.

*If you haven't checked these freeware plugs out, YOU MUST! They're resource hogs, but sound great. A whole bunch of them: http://antress.myweb.hinet.net/

tarnationsauce2 said:
Sounds good!
I'd like to know a little about how it was tracked and mixed.

I think the tom sounds a bit whimpy when it's hitting about 1/2 way through the song.
More snare! It sounds great, but just not loud enough.

Preamps were just on a Behringer DDX 3216. Interface is a Terratec Phase 88.

Drumkit - Pearl Export Select with Ambassador clear batters and a Powerstroke III on the kick. Pork Pie Pig Lite acrylic snare. K 13" hats, Vault 19" crash, Z 18" china, ZXT 20" ride. GREAT DRUMMER(huge factor).
Kick - D112
Snare - SM57
Toms - Senn. MD421 (On loan from a friend.. I NEED these mics.)
OH - MXL 991s(same thing as the 603s)

I also made samples out of 5-8 good hits of each drum and used them for support. I completely replaced the kick. It sounded fine as just a multisample.

Guitar - Epiphone Les Paul > Peavey 5150 > Avatar 2x12 cab > SM57(also had an MD421 on there, but I cut it out in the mix)

Bass - Fender MIM P-Bass > Hartke HA2000 > Crate 2x15 > D112

Vocals - Dude > Studio Projects B1

For the mix, I used Cubase SX 3. I mixed through the Magneto plugin. My main compression plugin was the Kjaerhus Classic compressor. I used it on everything but vocals and bass. I seem to like the Waves RVox there more. On snare, I also threw the Waves RComp as an expander to help cut out some of the hats. For verbs, I used two RVerbs on FX sends. One being a shorter, roomier sound. The other being a slightly longer, bright verb. I abuse the Cubase EQ. Heh. For the "loud" bss compression, I used the TLs Pocket Limiter: http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/. Another fantastic freeware plugin.

I'll pump that snare up a bit for sure.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. If any of you want the samples I made, give me a holler. I can give you GOGs or just the slightly processed wav files(24-bit, 44.1kHz).

geet73 said:

Hey guys. Any thoughts on this mix? It's a local hardcore band I'm recording.

The bass guitar sounds odd to me.

Really clicky, and pretty fat, but no cool mids.

If you could find one of these to reamp it through youd be a happy guy.

geet73 said:
It's just a MIM P-Bass with fresh strings into a Hartke HA-2000 into a Crate 2x15 cab.

thats rediculous. lol. those hartke heads are pretty crazy arent they? cheap as hell but they sound surprisingly good. im a fan of d112 on bass as well, however ive been really diggin the 421 on bass cabs alot more these days. give it a shot if you havent already. try the D112 on cab and a DI out of the head post EQ. mix to taste.

ill check those plugs out, sounds cool.

i cant believe thats a pbass. lol

Overall the mix was pretty on. Vocals come a little loud in my Altec Lansing PC speakers, didn't listen to it on monitors. The toms sound a little too dry and flat when soloing, and I agree it needs a touch more snare (maybe EQ'd a bit brighter?) I'm not a huge fan of the bass drum sample either.

the top end of the bass sounds weird to me. The low mids being sucked out isn't really bothering me too much, adding some might make it sound stronger though. Sounds like you might have made a boost in a frequency where the stressed quality of the vox really resonates, or maybe it's just the mic itself, but the vocals are TOO abrasive IMO, even though that's what they're going for. Everything else sounds great.

What did you do to make that boom in the middle of the song, sounds awesome. Also, howd you record/mix the group yell about 3/4th the way through.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me.
Snare sticks out a tad too much.
Vocals really take away from the guitars.
The guitars sound really nice but they dont shine through enough.

Good stuff.

Eck

For anyone who wanted the samples, here ya go: http://recordings.thepremierrock.com/Samples/

Here's the final version of the song I posted:

The kick is probably a bit too loud, but I really dig when the kick messes with the buss compression in heavy recordings like this.

For the group vocals, I just placed the Studio Projects B1 about 5 or 6 feet in front of a group of 4 of us and quad-tracked us yelling. :) The boom is an 808 sample stretched out with the high end rolled off. It's also known as a "bass drop". Easy way to get a big impact at certain points in a song.

Thanks for listening, guys.

I want to listen to this at home later when i have decent speakers to hear it on , but over all it sounds good, very good in fact. but one thing i would say upon my limited listen is that for the genre ( and its a genre that i know EVERYTHING about) the vocals are WAY to loud, in my humble opinion HC is the one form of music were you want the vox to sit right inside the mix, sometimes even buried a little.

It tends to make the whole thing rock more cuz it sounds like the guitars are just raging over the top of them which live they would be. Plus they are usually unitelligble anyway. just an opinion, and they way i personnally like it.

check out some newer converge and youll see what i mean. But it does sound real good on a laptop, so it must sound great at home, cant wait to hear it for "real"

Chris Jahn said:
I want to listen to this at home later when i have decent speakers to hear it on , but over all it sounds good, very good in fact. but one thing i would say upon my limited listen is that for the genre ( and its a genre that i know EVERYTHING about) the vocals are WAY to loud, in my humble opinion HC is the one form of music were you want the vox to sit right inside the mix, sometimes even buried a little.

It tends to make the whole thing rock more cuz it sounds like the guitars are just raging over the top of them which live they would be. Plus they are usually unitelligble anyway. just an opinion, and they way i personnally like it.

check out some newer converge and youll see what i mean. But it does sound real good on a laptop, so it must sound great at home, cant wait to hear it for "real"

What's to say I don't know anything about hardcore? Been playing in one or another band for 7 years now. :p

I thought the vocals needed to come down myself, but the band was super psyched with it so I left it.

Thanks.

Finally got to hear it on real speakers, you definetly know how to mix clean HC, a chalenge at best. I think you did a great job. but the vocals are killing me, its jsut to bad the band was happy with that cuz they are WAY to loud for the song.

But its not your fault, and like i said it does sound very good!!!!!

Back