hardcore demo in progress

ragata

Hello!
So, I was recording a local hardcore outfit's new demo the other week. We haven't tracked the vocals yet (schedualed for next week), but I thought I'd play around with the mix to see where I was heading, and also to give the screamer a decent headphone mix.
It was all recorded with a bunch of 57's, two d112's (bass and kick) and two sc-1's. For preamps I used the soundcraft spirit sx as well as a few savaged and upgraded Dynamix3000 modules (great for toms!). Then, Motu2408mk2 --> Cubase SX.
BTW, this was a location recording made in the bands rehearsalroom, for about half a day.

So, anyone here familiar with this kind of music? Are they getting their moneys worth? (real cheap) :) I'd appretiate any comments.

thanks!

holy shit...i wanna move ther now....sweden
they got the good shit
that hardcore is better than us hardcore... :mad: :mad: :mad:

really great sounding toms..
the guitars sound hella good.....lol wat the hell was that at the end?

Thanks!
Yeah, there's a fair bunch of good bands around here, got a pretty livily scen in my hometown and its suburbs.
Nevertheless, they all try real hard to copy the US style! ;)

The ending is one of the guitarists (after playing like a god... not) laughing his ass off, begging for a quick punch-in of about two seconds.
Not very likely :)

sounded pretty damn good man!
only thing i noticed was a little phasing on the overheads.
and id like to hear those toms come through more.
Good work overall.

finster: cheers man, I appretiate it! I've been listening to your recordings and holy fuck - you're good at what you're doing. It was a nice surprise to actually find something WELL worth listening to on a studio website ;) Really enjoyed some of those tracks.
I agree, the toms should probably be emphazised. I'll keep it in mind. Haven't noticed any phase-issues though, but my monitoring isn't the best.

systmovadown: Sure thing! I'll have something ready by the end of next week. The band has released a 7" before, and hopefully this will result in something similar.

hXc music is hard to mix, because the screamer is just like another instrument. i did some hardcore stuff, and man were those vocals a bitch.

Indeed, they can be. I find that dubbing and / or adding some delay helps matters. Some rather extreme compression is usually called for too.

Last edited:
here in nj....where every 20 feet u walk...u see an emo kid....every 40 feet...u see a hardcore kid...every 50 feet...u see a punk kid......(well at least up in north jersey)
every 10 miles... theres one or 2 metal bands.. :(

theres alot of hardcore bands here...and most of them cant use a mic.

Back