Hardcore/death metal Distortion, how?

I am really suprised that no one has mentoin this one undeniable fact:

Even if you have the exact gear at the exact settings in the same room with the same engineer that Hatebreed used, YOU will not sound like THEM.

That is why it is far better to invest in YOUR sound rather than trying to copy someone else's.

faderbug said:
a lot of these guys record with really small tube amps or even sansamp gear. postproduction plays a mayor part in their sound.

Sometimes and no. If you go to gearslutz.com you'll find a thread by Michael Wagener where he's using a 20 watt randall module combo for the latest king's x recording but you'll find a lot of heavy bands record with loud hi wattage amps running thru 4x12's, in fact Michael runs that little combo thru various 4x12's. Now on the subject of postproduction playing a major role, well, not according to Slipperman. You get the sound right at the source and you can get away with little to nothing as far as processing goes. Even for the heaviest of metal. I find the only times I really ever need to do anything is when a band decides(after the fact) they wanted a different tone, then I'll pull out the eq and shape it up a bit.

Zed10R said:
I am really suprised that no one has mentoin this one undeniable fact:

Even if you have the exact gear at the exact settings in the same room with the same engineer that Hatebreed used, YOU will not sound like THEM.

That is why it is far better to invest in YOUR sound rather than trying to copy someone else's.

Good point, but you can still shoot for the general overall tone.

I'll tell you what...I was listening to Municipal Waste's Hazardous Mutation record yesterday, and the tone on that is totally artificial sounding to the point of being cheesy, but it totally works for their style. I love it.

jonnyc said:
Good point, but you can still shoot for the general overall tone.

Well.....that is true to a point.....but I can't agree with that line of thinking 100%. I know that nubies have to start somewhere....I would just like them to know....and keep in mind....that buying $10,000 worth of gear will not give them a $10,000 sound. Give a pro a 1x12 Crate combo and a nubie any massive full stack he can dream up and who will have a better tone? The pro...every time. He just won't be as loud. The sound is literally in your hands....and in your ears THAT is the #1 most important thing for anyone starting out to remember. IMO. :cool:

replace the tubes and swap out the 12" speaker for a celestion vintage 30 or something

ok, this doesnt make sence

bandit 112 has never had tubes, ever... you MUST mean something else...

The amp is ok, it wont get what hes after exactly, If you have to go solid state and cant afford tubes this is a good option

till i upgrade its my main amp, i have tons of samples, here is one:

youll have to forward a while to hear the dist, thats about as heavy as you can get it, i reckon...

DROP D TUNING

I haven't seen anybody mention that.

I don't really like using it, but you will get a much heavier/crunchier distortion with it.

I don't know much about Hatebreed except the guy that sings hosts headbangers ball...lol

But I bet 90% of their songs use the drop d tuning...as most of those "hardcore bands" do.

Why? mostly because it's easier...lol...

JK...they do it because of tone.

Gotta get an amp with at least 10" speakers, or get a program like Amplitube or Guitar Rig for your computer...you can get any tone in the world with those programs. Of course that doesn't help you if you play live...only recording.

saint_berzerker said:
Gotta either get a good record deal or one heck of a job to afford those things!

:eek:

Not really, I know plenty of blue collar guys with great rigs, thousands worth. It's called CREDIT.

I use a Marshall to get the kind of tone the OP described, and I didn't spend a fortune, and I am really happy with my tone. The amp is a hybrid. An original valvestate (not the junk they are churning out now). I love the sound of it.

You don't have to spenda fucking fortune to get that ballsy sound, you just need to shop around.

...and obviously you need to be able to play that solidly in the first place. Stuff like Hatebreed packs a pretty solid groove. You need to be able to play pretty well in time and tight as fuck. All the money's worth of amps in the world won't help if you can't play that tight.

faderbug said:
a lot of these guys record with really small tube amps or even sansamp gear. postproduction plays a mayor part in their sound.
uh, not too sure I agree...

if you want the sound take a look at these to start with 5150, Dual Rectifier, Triple Recto, Uberschall, Krank, Cobra. ENGL, Diezel... with speakers like V30, G12T-75, Greenbacks... and mics like 57, i5, e609S, MD421...

your work is cut out for you trying with a pedal into small amp... if you can actually do it please post your result

Last edited:
Best example I've seen of how that sound is made......

Download the Mackie Tracktion 2 demo program. In there is a tune that is broken down track by track of exactly how that sound is created. I was amazed that they use THAT MANY tracks just to make those super prime rib guitar tracks.

Back