Hard Rocking -- Budget Style

wow man that one is loaded up with style. I like it more than the heavier stuff that comes on the usual music tv stations. I hope ya don't screw it all up when you do vocals :p

There seems to be some sorta snappy & cool hi hat or something shaking in there that I wish I could hear better. It's a percussion instrument that I think is in the 2nd verse.

I really like your half-distorted guitar. I can get good clean or good full-on distortion, but my half-distortion is a wrestling match. That's where my next few gear purchases are targeting... stuff that can do adjusted distortion like this song.

jdavidb, thank you for your kind words! There are a few bits I'm gonna touch up -- and I hope the vocals don't screw it up too bad ;).

David Katauskas, I hope the problem is now fixed.

yea, lol, u screwed up the vocals. nice intentions though. I like the singing style you chose for it. you seriously need some wah, wah, chickety, chackety guitar going on too.

i think you need some proximity effect on the vocals until about 2:33, then there should be some loud rockin vocals. maybe do some arranging to accommodate the vocals.

i think this could turn into a very cool tune.

hey mcolling: be sure to check your private messages. I was workin' on lyrics too before I knew you were doing it.

kraley said:
Can you tell us what guitar/amp/mic combo?

Hey, glad you like it :).

I ran my 80's SG -- bridge pickup, with volume and tone knobs at full -- through my JCM 800. On the amp, gain was at roughly 7 o'clock, master was at about 4 o'clock, and the tone settings were heavy on the mid. Then I miced it with a 57 pointed at the centre of the cone, with another 57 pointed into a corner of the room.

jdavidb, not sure if I got your PM. Try again?

I could make that sound better with one more night of it. It was fun and interesting practice. I don't get to do it much, so I'm a bit slower at finishing vocals & lyrics than the "good singers" are. I'm really a 5-string bassist who's gotta learn all this stuff just so I can have songs with good bass lines in 'em.

I'll keep looking for stuff from your band, and maybe it will be me adding vocals to all of it eventually. Who knows? I think it's cool to do international collaboration :)

I like how this turned out with only a few hours of working on it, so it's likely that I'll finish it.

Nice tune guys. Really liked the funky feel to it. If you turn it into a full song, let us know. I would love to hear more.
Ed

Dogman said:
Nice tune guys. Really liked the funky feel to it. If you turn it into a full song, let us know. I would love to hear more.
Ed

Well, it is a full song already, strictly speaking, but I encourage jdavidb to finish his version. :)

jdavidb said:
I'll keep looking for stuff from your band, and maybe it will be me adding vocals to all of it eventually. Who knows? I think it's cool to do international collaboration.

I don't often write a song without a vocal melody in mind (although usually lyrics come last), but our band, Western Birds, sometimes comes up with instrumentals. I'll be sure to throw them up when we do.

Cheers :)

Oh, and how is the second mix I did? I think the vocals, kick drum and guitar may be too quiet.

Back