Hard rock original and a couple Metallica covers

I find it hard to sit through metallica as it is, but all the clicking and pops makes it even harder :laughings:

The original song sounds cool as far as writing cool tunes go. There is something about the over all sound that's off. It's got the same crappy audio quality you get when you listen to those AM heavy metal radio stations. Not sure if any of those stations are still on the air LOL

I'm not saying it sounds like complete shit. It doesn't really sound that bad overall. It's just got a AM radio quality sound. Myspace does the same thing to people's music :D

Maybe I was trying for the crappy AM audio sound just like in some of these new movies with the fricken shaky camera.:D
Seriously, you are absolutely right. The mix doesn't sound remotely professional. Sorry for annoying you with the Metallica.:)

It doesn't sound bad LOL

Don't get me wrong, a lot of the music I listen to is recorded poorly and sounds really crappy, but the music is so good, I don't care if it's not polished.

It's not so much the mix, it's the over all sound. What did you use to record it? Kind of sounds like a 4 track tape deck or something.

I use to be a huge Metallica fan when I was a teenager. I still listen to A LOT of metal, but I'm just burnt out on Metallica and I hate everything they have done musically after And Justice For All. So, I say FU Metallica! Change your name to Lica! Because there is no longer any Metal In Metallica!

Hey, I think this original tune is pretty cool. Not really my type of thing (typically) but this is a great rocker of a tune. As for the production quality, I think it works. The kick near the end might be a tad much, but I'd rather hear this than some bland-brick-walled-hit-radio type deal like Godsmack or something.

My Metallica days are long behind me as well, but I listened to your "For Whom" cover and it's pretty good. I think the vocals might be a tad too wet.

FoulPhil ? (I new a guy named Rotten Ronnie......any relation ?)

I still like the first few Metallica CD's. I kind of like playing some of that stuff even though it's almost 30 years old. Those are still two of my favorite Metallica songs.
As far as the recording ? I use sonar producer 7. I record everything as dry as I can. Then I screw it all up tweaking it to death. :D Oh, and I use a Podx3 instead of a mic'd amp. There's a definate dropoff in guitar sound quality but it is a lot more convenient for my situation. On top of that I know just enough about mixing to be dangerous.:D

MattDee

Yeah, It's not really my kind of music either. The song has a certain appeal to it though. It was supposed to sound a little more mainstream than what I usually write. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:
I digging the recorded sounds. There's a lot of good in the landscape of the song....thinning and thickening of the parts.

The vocal melody isn't up to the music. And the L&R would prolly benefit from a figure to play sometimes...instead of just mainly chugging along. The texture, in the thick parts, is kind of uninteresting because of sameness. And the whining string bends sounds great at the beginning...but, like the fill guits do, get a little boring when used so much, I think.

The intro really set me up for a treat...reminded me a lot of Vertical Horizon's work at Electric Lady.....but after 30 seconds or so, it started not going anywhere.

There's a really effective melody and some twists and turns waiting to be discovered for the tune. But the recording you posted is promising.

Something to try, maybe....listen to Metallica, and identify and list a bunch of things they did to add interest to several of their songs.....focuses listening. Then apply the same ideas to your tune. ...kinda clinical, like. Could be stuff like modulations; melodic lines in the 'guitar orchestration'; breakdowns; dynamic buildup using certain instruments or rythmic figures. All kinds of things you could work into the basic thing you got to kick it up!

I think the most important thing might be playing the music w/o the vox....and letting your imagination hear a strong melody on it. Then re-write the lyric to fit the better melody...say the same stuff, but make it fit the phrasing of the melody. And harmonies, or countering chorus lines...hooks, would really be an interest-adding thing.

Keep at it...you can make this song really good...it has a lot going for it.

ps...if you really want a super catalog of vocal melody and other production ideas, maybe listen to the Beatles' early albums. George Martin and the boys really did a great job with that stuff. Tons of ideas that transfer to any style.

I listened to the original, and its pretty good. The guitar seems to dominate the instrumental landscape. The bass seems kind of buried, but hey, if you're going for the Metallica sound, that may be the way you want to go ;)

The drums also don't seem to pop out at me.

The material itself is fantastic.

Back