hard drive runs better in slave mode??

JFogarty

If I have my audio drive slaved to my system drive, I get incredibly shitty read spead, like completely worthless as a drive. When its slaved, its slower than it should be, but its usable (its 20 times(literaly) than when its a master).

Anyone know why this would happen? What the hell is up with my Hard drive

i dont know why that specifically would happen, but I do know that its probably a better idea to have each drive on a different ide channel. From what I understand, and heard on overclockersclub.com, only one device per channel can be accessed at any instant. So the two drives can not be accessed simultaniously. Im not sure if there is a huge real-world effect, but theorectically it would be better.

Crazy man! You shouldn't have your audio drive slaved to your OS drive! Stick it as master on the second channel.

Some guy was recently looking for proof that slaving devices could "really" slow things down. Welp, thanks for the example. ;)

Slackmaster 2000

well, it runs like shit if it is on its own channel. Its my only option. Hey, question: Are all jumpers created equally? Cause I stole the jumper from my Dell's CDRom drive for my audio drive...

JFogarty said:
well, it runs like shit if it is on its own channel. Its my only option. Hey, question: Are all jumpers created equally? Cause I stole the jumper from my Dell's CDRom drive for my audio drive...

No, there are different sizes. Some of the HDD jumpers I've seen are smaller than what's usually on a removable.

I've got at least 2 different sizes in my jumper container.

Slackmaster2K said:
Oh...your post was a little confusing :)

No problem, this situation is pretty confusing to me too:)

Anyway, now that I think about it, the audio drive doesn't need a jumper in slave mode, so when its running well, it has no jumper. The jumper I took from the cdrom fit fine though. I'm gonna dry a jumper from another harddrive and see what happens.

I'll keep everyone posted...

(edit after using a different jumper)

Well, nope, even with what I now think was the original jumper, the thing is still running slow as hell. I get 2.3 mb/s on HDtach for the random read spead. The seek time isn't awful, but its still pretty bad. Either way, the drive seems to be unusable as a master. I've used two different cables (one brand new), everything I can think of. Dammit...

This is off topic, but what I'm getting 3.1 mb/s read on my internet computer, which should be even faster than my music one...

What the hell am I doing wrong with my computers??

make sure your usin the correct cable- 88 pin not 44- i made that mistake once no good- they look almost the same- the hard drive ones are smooth though-
88 pin for hard drives- 44 for cd-roms etc.
if ive underestimated your computer knowledge then i apologise- but no ones brought that up yet- gotta ask-

-jeff

Ok, I feel like an ass. I enabled DMA, and it works now.

Thanks Randy

I can't believe that got by me, I had no clue DMA made that huge a difference. Does it only make a big difference if the drive is the master?

But I'm still get pops, which is the reason I switched around the drives in the first place. Oh well, at least I can listen still. Maybe I'll still reformat, or maybe switch to winXP and see what thats like...

doh, I've been very bad about mentioning my setup...

Sorry, thats even one of my pet peeves

Ok.

I'm running a digi001 with PT (nothing else)
on a gigabyte ga7dx+ with an AMD 1800+ and 512 mb RAM, a deskstar 5400, a seagate 7200

The pops are definatly not recorded (they're different on each play through), and I'm pretty sure are not part of my monitoring, though I'll need to double check that...

Yeah. 98 Sorry, I forgot to mention that too

EDIT:

Well, the pops are pretty intermitent, don't happen too much. I suppose this is as good as I can get it right now. But I garauntee that it isn't prefforming nearly as well as it used to. But I can say that switching the audio from slave to master did help alittle bit.

Last edited:
Did you try changing your buffer sizes and CPU percentage? I have never heard clicks and pops in any version of Pro Tools... due to the way it works, it prefers to throw an exception and just stop completely, rather than clicking and popping. Since I can get 24 tracks with plugins on my P4 866, I would assume that there is some other sort of problem.

First, check your IRQs, and make sure the 001 isn't sharing an IRQ with your video card. There are a lot of other tips out there; if you go to the Digidesign User Conference (http://duc.digidesign.com) you will be able to ask your question to an audience that has collectively solved thousands of problems like this with PCs and 001s...

Ok, here's the update:

I tried the DUC, theirs so many people on that board, that a post is gone after a few hours.

On my IRQs: on IRQ 10 I have the 001, and also an ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ steering. I don't really know what that is, but I've heard that it doesn't affect performance.

Here's the specifics of the problem (after aton of testing it out)

I get a lot of pops moving my mouse around on my second monitor, when I'm in the lowest buffer size. Only if I'm actively moving the mouse on that monitor.

In the highest buffer size, no pops.

I'd like to be able to use the smaller buffer size, to make recording easier. I guess I'll just switch buffer sizes whenever I record. Hey, everyone, thanks for all the help.

Back