Hard drive question.....

jant

I am getting ready to purchase a 2nd hard drive for my PC. 7200rpm. Does anyone have any opinions on the brands Western Digital or Maxtor? Also, what is my next step once I have the second drive after installation. Should I be installing Windows 98 on it or will the version already on my system work fine? What else should I install on the dedicated drive....my sequencer, plug-ins,etc. or should I leave those on my original C:drive? This is my first time doing this and any advice is much appreciated. thanks, James

No- no extra copy of Windows here! And leave your programs where they are. Just use it for your audio data. Maxtor/WD? I'm not a big fan of either (I've used both) but they'll both work. They'll have a little booklet included that will run you through configuring the IDE designation on the drive and your controller and the steps to take to format/partition your new drive. After that it should be just another drive letter(s) inside any browse of your system. Just tell your audio app to default its temp storage to the new drive.

ive heard the ibm deskstar are pretty reliable.. Like the doc said , just keep audio on this.. I actually just bought one large hardrive (7200 seagate) with the theory of freeing up the ide slots, yet it works perfect , afterwards i really didnt think it was neccessary and i should have kept my 8 gig aswell for windows that sort of thing .. But the seagates are quite good , just makesure what ever u get supports dma... not sure if all of them do , in which case the ones that dont probly wouldnt be suitable for audio.. good luck with the drive..
spider

Back