Hard Drive question? which is the best

.:Wyze Loc:.

recently my maxtor crashed on me...3 years of work...all gone.
i dont want this to happen again.

so wut brands would u reccomend? internal and external wise

.:Wyze Loc:. said:
recently my maxtor crashed on me...3 years of work...all gone.
i dont want this to happen again.

so wut brands would u reccomend? internal and external wise

I recommend:

1. An external FireWire hard drive that you can back everything up to... at least once a month if you record infrequently, else once a week.
2. Improving the airflow in your case. Hard drives very rarely fail unless they are being abused by overheating.
3. IMHO, in order from most reliable to least:

BEST

Seagate
Hitachi (except the 10k drives)
Fujitsu & Toshiba
Maxtor (Not former Quantum models)

(large gap between good drives and bad)

Western Digital
Maxtor (former Quantum models)

(large gap between bad drives and worse)

Toshiba 10k drives.

WORST

Of course, opinions vary wildly, usually as a result of people reviewing them whose cases don't have adequate cooling. :D

I like Western Digital's. they've never done me wrong. If you don't want an external drive I like to use hot swap bays, they're $20 and beat firewire hands down for speed and trouble free operation

I got 3 250gig SATA WD drives in a dynamic striped array good read and write speeds looks like about 750 Gig (treated as one drive) Improved my DAW :D

Will add another 250 and then goto raid level 0-1 or 5 :cool: :cool:

Seagate 100 Gig IDE for the OS and programs

what i did is put extra fans that blow over the drives dont have to be to big.
Held in place by wire ties about a inch across or 2.5 cm's

But a little extra air over the drives stops dead pockits of air that heat up and kill the drives.

a blow hole in the top of the case with a fan that blows out. Is good since heat rises If the case has one.

or at least another fan to blow hot air out mounted in the back.

also though some cases will allow dense packing of drives don't keep a good air space in between

once every 6 months i gently blow the dust out of the case (dust off in a can) not to hard as you can cause damage.

And always back your stuff up on daily or weekly basis so you wont lose your important data.

Seagate never cause me any grief or has Western Digital (WD)
i have had severil Maxtor drives fail :mad:

Thankfully i back everything up.

Hope this helps you

I'll second the WD drives as well as the Seagates.

Not to get into a pissin' contest but my wife's computer came with 2 maxtor drives...the first one died before the warranty period expired and then immediately after the warranty period passed, the second drive crashed.

Maybe we just had bad luck...I donno.

They both have very strong reputations...the Seagates have excellent warranty support as well...doubt you'll ever use it though.

I'd go SATA if it were me.

Not to side step dgatwood's suggestion...an external back up is nice to have for insurance or, if you're religious about it, you can make system recovery disc using something like Norton Ghost.

Just a couple thoughts.

Sorry to hear that

punkin said:
I'll second the WD drives as well as the Seagates.

Not to get into a pissin' contest but my wife's computer came with 2 maxtor drives...the first one died before the warranty period expired and then immediately after the warranty period passed, the second drive crashed.

Maybe we just had bad luck...I donno.

Were they under 100 gig of storage.

There was a lot of problems with

30 and 40 gig drives I know these were the Maxtors that died on me :mad:

Knock on wood, but I've had good luck with Maxtor's. I've had a rash of hard drive failures lately, and they were all Seagates. I really do think that's coincidence though. I've lost TONS of important data, both music and personal. Lost all my phone numbers, addresses, financial info, all my digital photos, everything that I've used my computer for in the last ten years. Not mention all my software installs, serial numbers and keycodes, plus all the various downloaded updates to my software. I'd backed up some but not all, so unfortunately a full restore is not possible unless a drive recovery place can get my data back.

I feel your pain, big time.

Bottom line, here's what you do:

For every drive you need, you buy TWO. One for the work itself, and one of matching size for backups.

In addition, you'll have TWO drives that are system drives. The first is your actual system drive that is in use, and the second is a CLONE of that system drive. The clone drive should be identical to the original in every way, including any invisible files, so that if your main drive goes down you simply boot off the clone and go from there.

Maxtors :-

About 18 months ago we had 2 cases of maxtor drives arrive at my store , none of them would not pass 4% when we tried to partition and format them. Feeling pretty stupid we called Maxtor to figure out what the deal was and they told us it was probably a bad batch of drives from the factory. When I questioned quality control, specifically batch testing they gave us this exact response:-

"For the price we are being forced to sell them for we no longer implement the stringent quality control we have done in the past , as a result we deal with failiure as it happens through RMA as it is more cost effective to operate in that way"

We sell 10,000 rpm Weston Digital Raptor harddrives for speed .

We sell Seagate barracudas and Weston Digital Caviar harddrives for regular desktops .

i wont sell any Maxtor harddrives period , they are cheaper to buy but the loss of data and time when they fail is not worth the savings.

full restore is not possible unless a drive recovery place can get my data back.

we do data recovery.

If the drive spins and detects we can usually get the data off for you (or a good part of it)

Best thing to remeber about HDDs; stay away from external HDDs, they are only trouble in the long-run. Also, make damn sure you have good, stable voltage running to your system, along side a worthy power supply. Unstable voltage will slowly kill a hdd, and the computer.

jaykeMURD said:
Best thing to remeber about HDDs; stay away from external HDDs, they are only trouble in the long-run. Also, make damn sure you have good, stable voltage running to your system, along side a worthy power supply. Unstable voltage will slowly kill a hdd, and the computer.

IMHO, external drives are good for what they are designed to do. The problem is that people try to use them for continuous duty use, and most external cases aren't designed to dissipate heat well enough to run them 24x7.

For backup drives, for long-term storage of infrequently-used data, and other non-continuous use, you can't beat an external hard drive.... Under that sort of use, I've never had a hard drive fail in any of my FireWire cases. I've lost at least eight drives inside machines in the past ten years (plus several more that experienced acoustic failure). YMMV.

TheDewd said:
I am a Western Digital fan.

WD drives are pretty much the Behringer of the hard drive world---they're cheap, functional, and noisy. :D

I've never lost a Maxtor, but I've only owned a couple. They've been reliable for me, but note that there's a caveat now that they bought Quantum....

I've only lost one really, really old Seagate (a used drive that was DOA when I got it and wouldn't spin up). Other than that, I had two 9 GB Seagate SCSI drives, one of which was in continuous duty from 1999 until I retired the machine last year, the other of which is still in continuous use and has been since about 1997. That sums up my opinion of Seagate. :D

Oh, I had one 9 GB 5.25" Seagate drive that I think I may have killed, but it's unclear whether that was the fault of the drive, the machine, or something wrong with the dedicated computer power supply I had to use to keep the thing spinning.... :D But I'm going to ignore that drive, as I can't be certain that it really failed. It was time to retire the old Quadra anyway.

I've never lost a WD, but I've seen a very high rate of acoustic failure with them (when the bearings get so noisy it hurts to be in the same room). In theory, this will likely eventually result in a bearing lock-up failure (like stiction but with far less risk of head damage when you hit it with a baseball bat to make the drive spin up), but none of these drives have actually failed yet.

My highest percentage of drives were Quantum drives, which now make up about half of Maxtor's line. If I were guessing, I probably saw about a 75% failure rate within the first three years on those drives, which is why I'm very careful about which Maxtor models I buy to avoid any drives whose design came from Quantum.

I've also had one drive failure (sudden appearance of bad blocks) on an 80GB 7200RPM IBM Deskstar (now Hitachi), but that was a cheap PC I built myself, which didn't have very good cooling and sat in a hot server closet with no real ventilation. Even still, other drives in the same enclosure survived, so I can only assume that either the drive was faulty to begin with or IBM/Toshiba drives are more heat sensitive than one would ideally like.

Oh, and my IBM Travelstar in my old PowerBook experienced acoustic failure after about a year. IBM replaced it, and the new drive is still quiet after a couple of years of use, so it was probably just a fluke.

Big thing to remember: buy drives with fluid bearings. And WD's fluid bearing drives are loud by comparison, even when new, so if you want silence, by fluid bearing drives from someone else. :)

SonicAlbert said:
For every drive you need, you buy TWO. One for the work itself, and one of matching size for backups.

Close, but no cigar. The correct number is three. One for the live work, one on which to store the backup, and one that holds the previous backup so that if the main drive dies halfway through the backup process, you haven't just overwritten the only backup with a new, failed backup. The rule is that you always overwrite the older of the two backup drives.

Remember, the most common time for a drive to fail is when it is under heavy use, and making a backup of a drive is usually the heaviest use it will get under normal circumstances.... :)

As an added advantage, drives usually start failing with detectable bad block failures or big performance problems long before they become unreadable. Having two backup drives means that if you start to experience such a failure, you can comfortably back it up immediately (just in case the drive never works again...) onto the older drive, confident in the knowledge that if some part of it is unrecoverable, you can still copy those parts from the backup.

mrT said:
I like Western Digital's. they've never done me wrong. If you don't want an external drive I like to use hot swap bays, they're $20 and beat firewire hands down for speed and trouble free operation

I've never had a problem with WD drives either. Where can I find a hot swap bay for $20?

dgatwood said:
WD drives are pretty much the Behringer of the hard drive world---they're cheap, functional, and noisy

Never had any problems with my WD drives concerning noise or otherwise.

Back