hard drive making clunk sound 2

MASTON

sorry, had to write this again as text in last post seems to have gone awol

I've just put an IBM 60GXP 60GB as a slave in my machine, seems to be OK though haven't used it much yet

so I was typing away doing e-mails (using the master drive) and I get a mechanical clunk sound and then I accessed the slave drive in explorer and it skipped a bit..

I think there's a bit of a clunk sound on boot too...

anything to worry about...

cheers

Maston

Clunky hard drive noises usually mean your drive is about to go. Is there data on it? If so back it up immediately. And if you have a warrantee there should be no problem getting it replaced :)

oh boy, fuck, bastard,

it's not dead cos it works fine, but it might go at any time right?

but will the retailer see it needs changing if it still works fine???

it definitely clunks on boot, so that's a sure sign of imminent failure right...? I need to know as I can't be recording wondering whether it's still gonna be there tomorrow?

luckily got hardly any data on it yet and that's already backed up

I had a problem like that one time, but it was with my master drive. I whacked it real hard with the palm of my hand and it went away and woked fine. I can't promise you the same results but you might give it a try. Try to think "Fonzie" when you do it.

That's the thing. It could just make a noise forever and work fine, you could hit it and make the noise go away and work fine or you could just be checking your email one day and POW it's gone. I don't think the retailer would even check the drive. If you take it back complaining of clunky noises they should replace it. And if it's important enough that you're this worried, why chance that it could go at any time. Get a drive that at least doesn't make noises that make you worry :)

Is the drive new? If so take it back to where you got it. If not, even if it is out of warranty with the retailer, most if not all drives have a five year manufacturers warranty.

drive's brand new so can't really give it a whack can I, might break it even more

sorry to be captain sensible here but I think I'll just take it back and swap it for a non-IBM, maybe a seagate barracuda, heard they're well reliable....

according to something I've just read,the black connector on the ribbon cable is for the master, and the gray one for the slave

well, I've got them the wrong way round, (though that seems to work), could that have anything to do with the HD going clunk???

I really don't think mixing master and slave should make your hard drive make physical noises that it's not supposed to. I would think the problem would become evident in operating the machine if that was the case. :confused:

Get it replaced. It's so easy! Actually it's a little harder with IBM, but all you have to do is call them up or (perhaps) fill out a claim online. I've never been hassled by IBM, Maxtor, or WD about replacing a drive. IBM was the hardest, as they required that I run some stupid test, but I actually replaced 2 perfectly good IBM drives without incident (found out it was the controller, not the drives).

So hop onto ibm.com and get it done!

(if your drive is still under a return policy at the store, then swap it there. You shouldn't have to explain too much because you'll just be swapping, not getting a refund. Plus they just end up sending the drive back to IBM like you would)

Slackmaster 2000

I bought a used laptop drive and before I installed it I noticed it made a major rattling noise. I figured great, I got ripped off on this one. Then I noticed some text stamped on the case, ‘rattling sound is normal’. Okay, okay, I’ll get back in the cave dammit!

Okey dokey,

actually i think i've been a bit misleading on this one

listening to the noise again when it boots, it's actually just a click, like a quiet switching sound, not a clunk..

so I rang up the shop and the bloke there said he had exactly the same drive in his machine and that makes a click too when it boots, so he reckons its OK...

(though it did click once when I was just working regularly in windows and then skipped a bit when I accessed it)

what d'you think...is a click OK???

anybody out there with the same drive (IBM 60gxp 60GB)? and does it go click when you boot??

MASTON said:
Okey dokey,

actually i think i've been a bit misleading on this one

listening to the noise again when it boots, it's actually just a click, like a quiet switching sound, not a clunk..

so I rang up the shop and the bloke there said he had exactly the same drive in his machine and that makes a click too when it boots, so he reckons its OK...

(though it did click once when I was just working regularly in windows and then skipped a bit when I accessed it)

what d'you think...is a click OK???

anybody out there with the same drive (IBM 60gxp 60GB)? and does it go click when you boot??
Yes, a click is okay. I have hard drives that sound like meat grinders when they boot. Others are very quiet. I’ve had new hard drives fail, and old hard drives that seem to last forever.
New or old, it ’WILL’ fail. Backup!

Sounds much more acceptable than your earlier post. I have an IBM 80 GB drive (not sure exactly which model) and it clicks every time on boot and has never worried me. Just be safe and always back up your stuff and all will be OK. :)

OK,

I was just doing some e-mails (using the master drive, not the IBM slave in question) and my system went click (the same click made by the IBM drive when it boots) and just hung???

I did ctrl-alt-del and it came back with no slave drive

rebooted and it was there.

but its not right is it.

could it be because I've got them connected with the gray connector for master and the black for slave (I know its supposed to be the other way round though if it boots and detects OK, then you can have it the wrong way round and it doesn't matter)

or could it be something else (its not connected right, loose connection etc)

or should I just take it back??

The term "click" doesn't really mean anything. One man's "click" is another man's "clank."

All hard drives will make some noise when they fire up. First the platter starts spinning, then the heads sweep over the entire disk. This process sounds like.... "rrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR kachiga cromp cromp" :) hahahahah It could be taken as a "click", depending on what "click" means to you.

It will not make a loud sharp click though. And if you heard a loud sharp click right before your computer froze up and came back online without the drive, then take the drive BACK!

Good luck!

Slackmaster 2000

Ok, think I figured this one out...if anyone's interested

the drive was clicking and switching off when I was using the computer cos I had it set to turn off in one hour in - display properties/screen saver/settings....

so when I accesed it it skipped as it powered back up...

I never lost the drive, it just looed like I did cos I didn't refresh in explorer...

Ive re-set it to never turn off

make sense??

Maston

Back