Hard Drive Failure, any advice?

Squashboy

So the other night, after a week of SWEET recording, I turn on my computer to mix a few tracks and.....no cigar. It won't even load windows. I said "!#*@" and a few other things my wife frowned at, and then took the computer over to my computer-whiz-techno-buddy. I use a Maxtor 7200 RPM 40 Gig hard drive, and until now it's been running smoothly. Anyway, he went to Maxtor's website and ran the Powermax, Powerdiag 2.4 basic test on it, and it returned error: K80S57 . . . whatever that means. So my buddy, seeing my excessive wailing and teeth-gnashing, copied all of my wav files onto his computer, reassuring me that they would be resurrected as soon as I got a new drive.

Then, chapter 2, I called Maxtor and they agreed to send me a new one. So now I have a few questions for any computer recording geniuses out there: Do I need to do anything special, or will I really be able to access my songs again after I get the new drive? Also, is anyone out there familiar with this type of drive error? If so, what could have caused it?

Man, it seems like I've had every kind of problem with setting this all up, but when it works it's so fun. AHH. Please help if you can.

Driveless,

Squashboy

Hey, dont you trust you buddy?

A wav file is a wav file, and if he says he got the data transferred, well then how well do you trust him? If you want proof have him play the files for you on his computer. Otherwise the issue remains how to transfer the files back to your new hard drive. He could burn them to CD, or hook up your drive in his puter to transfer them. You should be lucky you didn't lose the files altoghether. Always make backups! Get your own CD burner!

I do trust him. In fact, I only posted this message here because although he does know a great deal about computers, he knows next to nothing about recording. It is comforting, though, that you think the same thing he does (that they can be retrieved).

Also, I do have a CD burner, and I usually back stuff up, but only after I've finished mixing--this time I hadn't. In any case, I'll post again when I get the hard drive replacement, and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply.

Squashboy

Is the drive dead or can your friend still transfer more from it? To keep your songs, you need to save the Music software song files as well as the wave files in order to get all your settings and mixes back. If you have the wave files, you have the most important stuff but you might end up with remixing all your songs.

/Ola

Back