Hard disks for DMT8

demto

The disks in the list are classified as being suitable for the
DMT8-VL.

Are they also suitable for the DMT8 ? not DMT8-VL

I read somewhere that the DMT8 with original
software will only recognise 512 mb disks.

If the machine has Version2 software then it will recognise disks
up to 2GB but any disk greater than this will not increase
the recording time above that offered by 2Gb. For example
a machine fitted with a 3gb disk will recognise the first 2Gb
and disregard the remaining 1Gb.

Demto,

My DMT-8 shipped new with a 2.5 gig drive and it seems to use all of it. I am under the impression that 8 or 8.4 gigs or something like that is the most it will recognize, but can't remember where I heard this.

Since there probably aren't any new disk drives out there smaller than 10GB, you would probably find out really quick by getting one and putting it in.

8 gigs would be quite a bit of recording time on this machine--probably over 100 minutes at 8 tracks.

OB

Thats interesting OB

You may well be right about max of about 8GB being
recognised by DMT-8. I have heard 2 different versions
of what the machine will recognise.

One says about 8GB the other says no more than 2GB. I
will have to investigate further as I am never quite sure
about whether the machine people are referring to is a DMT-8
or a DMT8-VL.

I have version 2 software on my machine, a DMT8. There is
now a version 2.13 software. Perhaps this will allow it to recognise disksup to 8GB ?

I would think that a 8GB disk would give really long recording
time as I have a chart that says a 2.55 GB disk will record for
60 minutes.

Well, now you've got me wondering about it. I have a 2.5 (or 2.55 or 2.6, something like that) in mine but I think it only does somewhere in the 40-50 minute range of recording time. This might mean it's only seeing 2 gigs of that drive.

If it weren't a real pain the neck to swap the drives out, I'd try it and report back. But you have to do a LOT of disassembly to get in there. I'm comfortable doing it because I used to repair IBM laptops for a living, but it's not something I would do just to see what works and what doesn't.

I also don't know what operating system I have in that thing. I know it's at least 2.something-or-other.

Its a puzzle isn't it OB. Turntablist may be right. Unfortunately
I don't understand much about computers or anything based
on similar type of technology.

Only way to be sure is to check with Fostex agent. Mine said
there were also a couple of small modifications they would do
as well as updating to ver 2.13 If I had them fit the new disk.
The price seemed reasonable and if I decide I really need a bigger disk may get them to do the lot. This is in the UK, I don't know what the situation is in the US.

I have the fostex manual for the machine which I bought AFTER
I took machine apart and realised what was involved. Yes there
is a lot inside the case!.

There is an article on how to change the disk on the net which is very good and may help if you decide to give it a go. Its by a guy called Tom Kunze of Blue Fox.

If you do get the full picture on 2Gigs or more I would be very
interested in the details.

Last I knew, and I haven't used my DMT-8vl in a long time nor have I upgraded the drive, you could put in larger hard drives and the unit would use the space, but the counters (time) would not be correct - it would roll over (like an odometer) but still let you continue recording. Of course, going beyond the counter limits causes issues with punch-in/outs and moving to the right place for seeks...

I don't even know what version of the OS is in this system... maybe I'll pull it out of the closet and see.

Back