Hard disk havoc

S8-N

..|.. Part-time Antichrist ..|..
My computer came with a Maxtor Ultra DMA 8.7 gig HD.
I have no specs so I dont know the speed it has..
Can anyone tell me if this thing is unusually slow??? I cant even get 16 tracks of playback in Vegas Pro... I push play and it just stops...
I also noticed that it seems to be pulsing... Speeding up and slowing down... The disk indicator shows the thing bogging down...
Is there any setting I can change to correct this???

I can help ya out if you still trust me (my performance on your last problem was less than adequate :)

Download dskbench from: http://www.sesa.es/dskbench/dskbench.htm

It's a small benchmark utility that simulates multitracking audio software (multiple large files at various block sizes).

Run the program from the command line, it'll take from 3-10 minutes to finish (in my experience). When it's done, it'll have spit out some results that'll help us figure out what's going on.

Things we might find: a) the drive is just slow...it's probably 5400RPM. Too bad. b) The drive is not running in UDMA mode, as indicated by a very high CPU utilization. We can fix this. c) the drive is plenty fast, running properly, and the problem lies elsewhere.

I know you're not a big fan of the command line. Here's what you do...

1) Download the program.
2) Unzip it to c:\ (the root of your HD) If you need an unzip utility you'll find WinZip at www.winzip.com
3) Click Start->Run and enter "command.com" in Win9x or "cmd.exe" in NT4/5
4) An interpreter (DOS) box will pop up. Enter (without quotes) "cd \"
5) The prompt will now be "c:\>"
6) Assuming you unzipped dskbench.exe to the root of your drive, enter (without quotes) "dskbench.exe" and WAIT for it to finish. Write down all everything in the report it spits out when it's done.

If you're feeling friskey, instead of just entering "dskbench.exe", enter "dskbench.exe > results.txt" and instead of dskbench outputting results to the console (DOS box), it'll write the results to a file called "results.txt" (or whatever you want to name it).

Good luck. (BTW, you might think to use EchoReporter, but it sucks dog)

When your done, delete dskbench.exe and dskbench.txt from the root of your drive.

Slackmaster 2000

Too bad I sold my printer... I'd print that out. I'll try this tomarrow (my day off)... Right now I'm gonna crash(no pun intended)...
I figured out one problem. My own stupidity. I copied the wav. files from CDrom backup to my HD but vegas was trying to read then off of the CD which I left in the drive...
This wont work.
Now I am happy to say that I am getting 12 tracks of playback with no DX FX.
Its a start.
We'll se if the DX FX crash the whole thing like I think they will.

I'm not sure what your problem could be except as you found out you can't read from a CD. I have a AMD K6 400 MHz/256 ram and two 5200 RPM drives and I easily run 28 tracks with no problem. BUT if I try to run a plug in in real time with that many tracks up it'll spit up all over the place.

Did you do anything to optimize your system? Like mess with the file system or virtual memory???

S8-N ,

what are the specs of the computer? im just curious.. if you open the case of the computer and take out the hard drive , itll have the model # right on it , and then you can go directly to the maxtor site and get detailed specs.. if you bought the drive separately , look on the invoice.. and as a last resort , go to the maxtor sight and see all the drives they have available at 8.4 gig..maybe youll get lucky and they will only make one drive that size..

- eddie -

well S8-N , i was having the same probs...and still was till a few days ago. Ive been trying a few little so called tweaks, but not really sure what made the difference. I set my own vertual memory, mines at about 800mb and it seems fine. I have nothing else running in the background, except systray which i believe u need! Harddrive made a big difference for me , i was using two 8.4 5400 seagates then made the switch to one 20gig 7200 and it seems heaps better. Things like graphics acceleration, i dont think that should make a difference but a lot of people think it does. I dont notice a difference except with plugin graphics when i turn the acceleration right down , so i leave it on about half and run in 16bit colours, 24's there but i dont notice a difference.. the pc is primarily used for rcording so i dont need really cool graphics. Also disable write behind caching in all drives and a lot of people say turn read ahead optimization right down , but i dont have a problem with it so i leave it up. Tweak UI isnt too bad , though i didnt find it had a heap of options for performance, but theres a couple of things in there .. Anyone else know of a few more little tricks to try and aleviate the huge load we put on our computers?? well im sure its not that bad ....
spider

[Edited by Spider on 09-15-2000 at 18:02]

Back