Hard disk configuration?

JoeNovice

Junior Cheeseburger
I have a P5ad2 by ASUS. It supports SATA, Raid, and IDE. Should I use the RAID controller for my OS and SATA for audio drives or vise versa?

I was thinking RAID 0 but I'm not sure if this would out-perform the SATA drives enough to go through the trouble.

:confused:

Oh for sure. A stripe will greatly increase your HD performance. I would keep your audio files on one drive though since if the raid fails, there is no way to recover the data (unless you go with a stripe and mirror)

Would the boost in drive performance be an advantage for the OS and subsequent programs like Cubase, Reason, etc.

What would you think the RAID would be better suited for. Streaming samples, OS and applications, or forget RAID alltogether and just use SATA?

You sure that the RAID controller only works on the IDE? Mine was SATA RAID (Intel ICH5). Any raid will outperform a single drive btw. I hope you realize that you will need to add mutiple drives for the raid to work right?

Yes... I understand the basic principles of RAID and various configurations. As for my MOBO....

as well as I remember the RAID controller looks just like an IDE connector. ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe

Ok, I was right, it has an ICH6 controller, that controls everything and has RAID built into it so you in fact have sata raid and ide raid

Refer to your manual on how you can mix the IDE and SATA (there were limits on mine, but I have the older one) but I would just stick with all sata drives, they perform better and are a pleasure to work with (NO MORE JUMPERS!!!). You can configure up to 4 drives and have them be 2 Raid0, 1 Raid0+1 or 2 regular sata, 4 sata etc

Raid is not needed for a recording drive
Its better suited for ur os and software but recording raw wav files u should use a sata or firewire drive, u could use usb 2.0 but I think its a tad slower.
Yes Raid spans a filesystem accross multiple drives but that actually decreases the speed of audio recording. Especially bigger drive around 100 gb, big drives actually have to readjust themselves in order to keep track of where it is because the size of them are huge. Smaller drives are useful in audio recording, even 2 gb ones if u are on the cheap, but I prefer 60 - 20 gb for recording.

I usually do this, make cubase projects on the smaller drive when recording, and then for mastering I usually use the bigger system drive because sometimes I just export the audio, but if I was re routing from a input and out and mastering that way, I would use the recording drive also.
Speed is the biggest thing when recording, not space.

Back