hanging mics upside-down

artCROSS

I know I've read this somewhere on here, but can't remember where. Why do people hang their mics upside down when recording (specifically, I usually only see this when recording vocals, or voice over work)? I THINK it has something to do w/ the type of mic used and moisture build it, or heat dissapation, ugh, I don't remember. Does it really change the sound for today's "home studio" FET LDCs? Or is it now used to just get a better angle? Thanks!

All of the above. In the "old days", the primary purpose was to prevent heat rising from the tube from damaging or distorting the PVC diaphragm. It also keeps the column of air from the singer's mouth from impacting the mic body directly, creating turbulence. and makes it easier to see written music or visual cues. Besides, it makes you look cool, like the big boys.-Richie

Ahh, it all sounds familiar now. So if I had a GT66, would it be better for me to start hanging it upside down for heat purposes? Or does it not matter with today's tubes. I dont' have one yet, thinking about it, but now i'm just curious. thanks again.

Well artCROSS, today's tubes aren't that different from the old ones. It's the diaphragms that have changed. Anyway, it probably doesn't matter to the mic, but for all the other reasons mentioned, it's probably best to hang it with the diaphragm down. Besides, don't you *want* to look like the pro studio pics? If I've learned anything, it's that the psychology of recording is real. If it looks like a garage, the talent will bring their garage attitude. If it looks like a studio, they'll bring their studio game, if they have one.-Richie

I must agree with you on that one. and I do like to look cool...at least, my mom says i'm cool...

haha, no seriously though, you do have a point. I'll probably be hanging my vox mics, if only for the look. I tried it out, and IT IS very useful for looking at lyrics while singing. Now, I'm off to position my OH so they face the ceiling... :) Thanks again

artCROSS said:
Now, I'm off to position my OH so they face the ceiling... :)
LOL

I had a vocalist a while back who sang with her chin almost on her chest, even though the diaphram was almost at eye level when she did it. So I thought I'd try hanging it upside down and slightly above her and told her to sing into the mic..... worked a treat.
Her comment whilst listening back..... "WOW, nobody's ever been able to capture my voice that well before"
I just smiled to myself and took the compliment ;)

I tend to hang all side address mics (whether tube or not) upside down for the very practical reason of keeping flailing hands, guitar necks & headstocks from impacting the mic/stand. For some reason a lot of musicians/singers think they need to put on their "stage show" in the studio to capture the magic - I don't know how much truth is in that mindset, but I believe in protecting my gear :) .

DigitMus said:
For some reason a lot of musicians/singers think they need to put on their "stage show" in the studio to capture the magic - I don't know how much truth is in that mindset,
Whatever it takes... recording is about capturing a good performance... so as long as the client has the money, I let them do whatever they want. ;)

Hanging a sold state mic upside down is akin to gangstas shooting their guns held sideways...it looks cool. Of course, shooting a gun at that angle can result in a broken wrist and the kickback is heading straight for your head but hey...it looks cool.

War :cool:

Stupid is not cool.

Hanging a sold state mic upside down is akin to gangstas shooting their guns held sideways...it looks cool. Of course, shooting a gun at that angle can result in a broken wrist and the kickback is heading straight for your head but hey...it looks cool.

Not to mention an aiming accuracy right up there with a blunderbuss. It's to "gangsta" what having a silencer on a revolver was to "gangster".

Sorry for going off-topic for a sec...

G.

I always wondered the same thing. I just did it cause it looked cooler :D . My excuse is that if it ever falls out of the shock mount, it's less likely to bang against anything.

DigitMus said:
I tend to hang all side address mics (whether tube or not) upside down for the very practical reason of keeping flailing hands, guitar necks & headstocks from impacting the mic/stand. For some reason a lot of musicians/singers think they need to put on their "stage show" in the studio to capture the magic - I don't know how much truth is in that mindset, but I believe in protecting my gear :) .

I actually dont use stands for vocal mics and overheads, I fastened flanges to the ceiling and have Flex extentions hanging from them...theres no way to knock over a mic stand that way. :) It also keeps vibrations from effecting the mics...drum sticks from hitting boom attachments...etc.

And I can hang the mics upside down, which looks cool...and that usually matches my outfits.

i always wanted to hang my OH from the ceiling, but i was always afraid I'd damage my cables. I've had the worse luck with bad connections at the mic end from one of my band mates stepping/tripping over cables while i'm recording. I figured hanging a cable like that with a mic dangling from the bottom would eventually damage the cable.

Unless you have a really heavy duty studio stand, I would reccomend placing your mics right side up so that you are keeping the stand in better balanace. A lot of those pictures that you see are in studios that have the nice heavy based stands so you extend out higher and longer and not worry about the stand tipping.

As far as mounting from the ceiling, it sounds like a good idea. My problem would be the lack of mobility though, and the LF conductance of the room.

xstatic said:
Unless you have a really heavy duty studio stand, I would reccomend placing your mics right side up so that you are keeping the stand in better balanace. A lot of those pictures that you see are in studios that have the nice heavy based stands so you extend out higher and longer and not worry about the stand tipping.
I find the opposite is true. I have a cheap stand that tips easily, well not that easily but it needs to be balanced. With it upsidedown, my stand is very solid, with it right side up, it seems to want to tip more. I also keep the boom almost totally vertical which makes it easier to have the mic upside down and the stand more balanced.

I meant in reference to someone else who stated that they liked to hang the mics upside down so people wouldn't be able to hit the mic stands while singing.

xstatic said:

As far as mounting from the ceiling, it sounds like a good idea. My problem would be the lack of mobility though, and the LF conductance of the room.
As far as LF conductance...I do have shockmounts on all stands...the flex connectors allow some mobility...but mostly you can move the instruments closer.

xstatic said:
I meant in reference to someone else who stated that they liked to hang the mics upside down so people wouldn't be able to hit the mic stands while singing.

That was me, and I use extremely heavy duty stands weighing in at 50lbs. or more, with large adjustable couterweights. Haven't managed to tip one yet.

With a quality stand, you can do that. Sounds like you have got some nice stands, so that wouldn't be a problem. I was just hoping to save someone else the headache of some tipped over stands with mics int them. Especially if the mic is upside down. If a stand does fall while the mic is upside down, there is a better chance that it will land capsule first:(

Back