Handheld Condenser Live over Dynamic

Why would you want to use a condenser mic live? Are you assuming it would somehow improve the sound? If so, here's a wake-up call for you. Upgrading just about everything else in the signal chain will have a far more dramatic effect on the quality of your sound - and using a condenser without FIRST upgrading EVERYTHING else is kinda like pouring perfume on a pig. There are a few handheld condensers made for live vocals, but I think your money would be better spent on better : mic pre-amp(s), compressor(s), EQ, speakers, crossovers, cables etc. etc.

Unless you're talking about classical concerts, live performances are all about poor acoustics, noisy environments, inferior or compromised equipment and so on. The reason the SM58 has been the premier vocal mic for the last 30 years is because it can cut through the mix no matter how bandwidth-limited the PA is - and without having an extended high end or fast transient response. (BTW the extended highs and fast transients that sound so great on condensers in the studio will either get lost in the relatively poor sonics of most live PAs, or cause screaming feedback...or both).
I'm speaking from experience as a former touring FOH engineer working everything from clubs to stadiums.

Scott

If you have any experience with this new one, what is your opinion of the new Sennheiser E865 stage condensor?

Their site said some star's production conpany chose this mic for stage use for his tour. I don't remember who it is. It's in their news releases.

For $285, the Beta 87a condensor will be the ONLY thing in your chain that will dramatically improve your sound for the money.
The Sennheiser E855 over the 865 (Or the Beta)would probably be a better buy though, in my opinion, and I would just do that. If you REALLY want to step up, look into a Beyer M88 or something similar. Beyer makes fantastic mics.

Beta 87 though, Excellent live mic, low feedback, sounds superior to the 58, and WILL be as much an improvement in sound quality itself as moving from Mackie to a Great River. Do both. Be happy. You can still hear the difference out front.

That was all subjective though... any of those mics could sound WORSE on your voice. Doubtful, but quite possible. YMMV.

DigitMus said:
Why would you want to use a condenser mic live? Are you assuming it would somehow improve the sound? If so, here's a wake-up call for you.

Damn, Digit. You really told him. :D Remind me not to ask you the next time I want to know the benefits/drawbacks of using a condenser for live applications. :D

Thanks. Since that is a fairly new mic, I haven't heard much about it.

I was actually thinking of using it as an instrument mic.

it all depends on the vocalist and the type of music.

for intimate jazz you want a condenser.

the dynamics will achieve higher gain before feedback. for extremely loud music you want a dynamic.

for in between uses nobody can tell you. borrow or rent a stage condenser and try it for yourself. some voices sound great through a 58 others sound dull.

i have an audio technica stage condenser and it sounds a lot better than a 58 but if the music was really loud i'd use the 58.

:)

Getting back to the advantages and disadvantages question:

I know a couple of vocalists using the Neumann handheld condenser (can't remember model #) who absolutely love it, and now won't use anything else. They say it adds a whole new dimension to their sound. It's possible it's part psychological, but I'm willing to believe them.

The main advantage of a vocal condenser would seem to be a more detailed top end.

But the disadvantages are they are significantly more fragile and also more susceptible to humidity.

Back