Han D Mag pre-purchase questions!

So I'm looking at buying a used Han D Mag for my Tascam 388 that I haven't even gotten to use yet! The used ones are reasonably cheap on Ebay, but I want to make sure it works as it should. Is there an easy and obvious way for me to test these?

Also, how far should I keep it from my computer? My studio computer is in pretty close proximity to where I have the 8 track set up... How far away from the Han D Mag does it need to be so I don't erase stuff on my hard drive? I know the obvious answer would just be to move the tascam, but man that thing is heavy and I like my work setup right now... The tape heads are about 3.5 feet away from the closest edge of my computer. Safe?

I know the Han d mags are very powerful so I'd be careful. I think the norm for tape is about 5 feet or so away, but for a computer I have no idea. I would say the further away the better. Since you will be plugging in the d mag from almost two feet away then bringing it up to the heads and then away again, I'd err on the further the better side.

technically you should be okay at 3 feet...like dodge said 5 or better would be playing it safe.

Is there a way I can test if its working properly? I have yet to use this Tascam, and I have no idea how recently it was de-magged, so I won't really have a solid before and after to go by. Could it kill the magnetic charge of a small refrigerator magnet or something? I'm pretty sure I'm showing my analog inexperience here...

I'm going to be so screwed when I get to the point of using my decks and having to demag them...

Attachments

• DSCN0770.jpg
    DSCN0770.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 59
  • DSCN0771.jpg
    DSCN0771.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 57
You'll know its working by the aforementioned hum and also that the tip will try to stick to metallic masses when turned on (ferrous metal). This is not true with lesser degaussers but the Han-D-Mag? Hoo-boy...

I personally wouldn't demagnetize anything unless you have a magnetometer sensitive enough to tell you whether something in the tape path actually needs it (a good magnetometer can cost hundreds of dollars so you probably don't have one). Especially not with a gadget as strong as the Han-D-Mag. If you suspect something on your deck has been magnetized, take it to a trusted tech to get checked out.

I know it's accepted wisdom that you should demag your deck as part of routine maintenance, but I question that wisdom. Routine demagnetization is probably completely unnecessary on any pro, semi-pro, or high-end deck made from the 70's onward, and might even do more harm than good.

I used to work in a place that did a lot of tape duplication and asked the head technician what demagnetizer I should buy for home use. He told me that in the 25 years he had been running the place, he had never come across an open-reel or cassette deck that needed it. In his opinion, routine demagnetization was just a holdover from the earlier days of analog recording, when heads really could get magnetized during use.

I know the Han d mags are very powerful so I'd be careful. I think the norm for tape is about 5 feet or so away, but for a computer I have no idea.

Considering that a hard drive is also magnetic media, the Han-D-Mag should probably be kept as far away from the computer as from any tape.

Beware when you move the HanDMag close to metal, it's not a gradual pull, it's like suddenly you're too close then WHAM, the magnetism sucks the unit into your heads or whatever metal is nearest. It's quite powerful.

One of the nice things about a han d mag and bulk erasers is that you can de-magnetize your screwdrivers.

Almost every time that I fire up the bulk demag unit I take my tapedecck adjustment screwdrivers to it. Move them over just like tape. Turn the unit on, mover the screwdriver close slowly and then pass it over the field a few times (I turn mine too) then back it away slowly.

this keeps me from putting a magnetixed screwdriver close to my heads. Perhaps overkill....

As for testing a hanD mag. Bring a screwdriver close to one. You sill know if it is working.

Ethan

:eek:

I completely disagree with Igor Alexander's opinion that it is no longer necessary to degauss your tape deck...that it is a holdover from the days of yesteryear.

Last I checked, the same laws of physics that cause two metal objects to polarize when rubbed together (to become magnetically attracted to each other) still apply to metal tape heads and magnetic tape...

What's so different about the decks from the 70's and on??? :???:

Forget the magnetomometer...just let your EARS tell you when its time to degauss...my ears cost a lot less than a magnetomometer...I've already got 'em.

Back