Hall and Oats cover

Hi Elton - I would say that the lack of response might be due to the strange looking URL. I know that I'm not going to click it, and I listen to everything you do.

Chuck

It's a Dropbox link, Chuck, where you can download an mp3.
He should have told us that.

She sounds pretty good, Elton.

Yeah. Dropbox link posted from my phone. I'll put up a link from my desktop when I get back to the office. Thanks fellas.

Pretty good. I think the lead vocals could be turned down a little and they sound too dry. A nice wet delay would make it sound more classic like the original. If you got the volume of the lead vocals the same level as the guitar solo and with similar fx that might make me like it more. Either way it's alright as is.

Nice. Thanks for the listen. Yeah I kept the verses dry, then automated the reverb up on the prechorus(C major section) then backed off slightly on the chorus. I like automating my Verb levels as well as delay to create movement in the tune.

The thing about covers is that you will always be compared to the original (if you know it)... and I love H and O
In this case you hit a grand slam home run... The vocals are outstanding and the backup is perfect (except maybe a tiny bit too much bass).

The thing about covers is that you will always be compared to the original (if you know it)... and I love H and O
In this case you hit a grand slam home run... The vocals are outstanding and the backup is perfect (except maybe a tiny bit too much bass).

Thanks man. I appreciate the listen. Do you mean the low backup vocal or the bass guitar? Thanks again. I love Hall and Oats as well and I'm addicted to "Daryl's House". Great band, great show!!!

Nice cover, been a while since I heard this one. I'd give the snare a little more weight myself but you got everything else pretty well spot on. Good job

Kat 1st I was going to say I don't like the drums, but then I realized what it was :-)

It fits nicely.... I would wash the whole thing with some room verb? Oh a chick singer! And a good one too :-)

I would kick it in the butt a little more with that bass... It's a good bass part? If it's a "played" bass? I think I want it a bit more prominent in the mix. (but I'm a bass player...) But we bass player know what we like? And what is best... Kick the bass up a bit. Great chick vocals, I really enjoyed this.

Kick that bass UP! KICK IT UP!

Last edited:
Kat 1st I was going to say I don't like the drums, but then I realized what it was :-)

It fits nicely.... I would wash the whole thing with some room verb? Oh a chick singer! And a good one too :-)

I would kick it in the butt a little more with that bass... It's a good bass part? If it's a "played" bass? I think I want it a bit more prominent in the mix. (but I'm a bass player...) But we bass player know what we like? And what is best... Kick the bass up a bit. Great chick vocals, I really enjoyed this.

Kick that bass UP! KICK IT UP!

Thanks for listen!! Yeah, thats a played bass. A fender j-bass through an Avalon U5 straight in. Actually the only looping in the tune is the drums. All the keys are played as well.
I'll crank it up. The bass part makes the whole tune. :)

Hey Elton. I'm not gonna lie - I've never cared for Hall & Oats myself, but I do remember this tune and I think it sounds really good as you have it.

I was thrown off by the programmy-ness of the drums at first, but they do fit as the song kicks in. Vocal performance is good. Mix seems good to me. Well done.

Hey Elton. I'm not gonna lie - I've never cared for Hall & Oats myself, but I do remember this tune and I think it sounds really good as you have it.

I was thrown off by the programmy-ness of the drums at first, but they do fit as the song kicks in. Vocal performance is good. Mix seems good to me. Well done.

Thanks Heat. Appreciate the listen. This was a fun one to try to do.

Back