Hafler P1500 Let's face it I'm dead!!!

harley96

Well, today may be my last day here at HR.com and I want to wish all many years of blissful recording.I've been looking into replacing my Alesis ra100 with a better power amp and I was preferably looking for a hafler p series.So, I happened to find one about a week ago on ebay (p1500) so the bidding wars begin...Today, after a fierce bidding war I'm the high bidder and $295.00 poorer as we speak.Ironically the guy lives within 25 minutes from me and I bought my event 20/20's off him 6 months ago on ebay.From dealing with him in the past I've determined that he takes care of his gear and I get to pick it up in person so it all works out.Only one small problem,my wife has not yet been notified of this aquisition and of course we never discussed it before bidding.All well,I never learn!!I can see it now, " baby you look so beautiful", "what did you buy Greg?", "don't worry about that baby your bea... Smack,Smack,Smack "hold on baby wait" Smack!! lol.. Really,all it is 20 minutes of why we should discuss these purchases and I know if we discussed them before hand they wouldn't be purchases.Regardless, I am sure I just improved an area in my studio that was lacking so I'm happy:D :D

TexRoadkill said:
It's always easier to apologize than ask permission
Tex,at this point I've done neither my friend,I've barricaded myself down in my studio until I can muster up some kind of miracle plea/apology and if that doesn't work than I'm just going to be laying a whole lot of pipe in the next few weeks until she get's over it....:D

harley96, you are braver than I.

Tell her you can sell the RA100 for $145 and you just trippled the quality of your reference chain for a mere $150. Actually she should despise you if you failed to take advantage of this shining opportunity. Besides, by doing extra chores/projects around the house you can pay for the purchase in a couple of months!

Wear you motorcycle helmet when you tell her. Maybe the humor will soften the blow--so to speak.

tdukex, yea, I sold the ra100 the other day for $150.00 so she was aware of the fact that I would be needing another amp.I just forgot to tell her that I've purchased the new one and trust me the upgrading the sound chain thing is definately going to be part of my apology plea.I've been trying to tighten up all my weak links in my recording studio and this was an area that was certainly lagging and if I post anything tommorrow obviously that means I'm in the house and not in the doghouse.lol.....

What I've had to do to keep my marraige healthy is work another job 6 hours a week to pay for my audio gear. It's so refreshing to be able to know that my wife can't tell me how to spend the money that I earn over and above my normal forty hours a week. If I want something I save up and get it. I've gotten a lot of fun stuff lately: a Focusrite Penta, a J-Station, a cheap keyboard for demos, etc. My next acquisition, I think, is going to be a pair of those MXL 603s.

She should quit her bitching.

You SOLD the other amp. You didn't use its presence as an excuse to buy another set of monitors for the bathroom.

That's way sensible.

cominginsecond said:
What I've had to do to keep my marraige healthy is work another job 6 hours a week to pay for my audio gear. It's so refreshing to be able to know that my wife can't tell me how to spend the money that I earn over and above my normal forty hours a week. If I want something I save up and get it. I've gotten a lot of fun stuff lately: a Focusrite Penta, a J-Station, a cheap keyboard for demos, etc. My next acquisition, I think, is going to be a pair of those MXL 603s.

Well, we tried that, we set up a recording fund but like usual I don't listen very well.I've been trying to put together a small independent studio here where I live and have spent alot more money than she thought would be needed to make this happen.It's not all bad I've even gone back to school at the Recording Institute of Detroit where I'm in the advanced recording class and I have one more class (computer music technology) to go to finish the program.I wanted to further my education for obvious reasons and by going back it's also reinforced to my wife how dedicated I am to pursuing recording as a part time career which has helped convince my wife that these purchases are necessary if I want to start a small recording studio.Plus,Ford motor co. pays for my tuition which is cool considering each class if I had to pay out of pocket I would have never been able to purchase the gear I have now.I'm working with a band here right now so I'm starting to make a little money and she understands it's going to take quite awhile for the studio to recoup our investment let alone start making any profits.I've had this dream since 1994 and I'm doing my best to make it a reality and I've made it this far and there's no turning back....:D

harley96 said:
I've been trying to tighten up all my weak links in my recording studio and this was an area that was certainly lagging and if I post anything tommorrow obviously that means I'm in the house and not in the doghouse.lol.....

Well guys,I'm still alive and not in the doghouse .....:D :cool:

It's a juggling act at times........lol. My wife is terrifically supportive of music in our house......................until it comes to me wanting to spend money.:D

ausrock said:
It's a juggling act at times........lol. My wife is terrifically supportive of music in our house......................until it comes to me wanting to spend money.:D

I second that!!!!!:D :D :D

Fishmed said:
Its good to be single!

(Opps, sorry) :D

Fishmed, your pushing it!!! lol... but I have to stress two incomes are better than one and when you spend all your paycheck and half of your old ladies.. remember when you do take the plunge into no return this works "baby, were trying to start a small recording studio so fork it over" I'm now trying to talk her into one of those primera printers.Like I said, I never learn....:D :cool:

Hey Greg,

I'm always giving the younger guys on this board advice about buying carefully selected used gear so that if/when it comes time to sell it or to upgrade, they won't take a beating. The added advantage of this is that sometimes you just can't help but make a profit. That's the angle that seems to work with my beloved wife. I remind her about the $300 we made on the Canon FD 85mm f1.2 lens I bought last summer -- and so far, I think I've spent that $300 about six times over on audio gear without her actually noticing that I intend to *keep* all this stuff. If you have a similar story in your background, you might give it a try.

Heck, $295 for a Haf P1500 and NO SHIPPING COSTS! That doesn't sound like an expense; that sounds like an INVESTMENT! Your bride should be glad you made such a wise purchase, not only saving you so much money, but potentially giving you a handsome return on her hard-earned dollars.

Appreciatively,

Mark H.

Mark H. said:

Heck, $295 for a Haf P1500 and NO SHIPPING COSTS! That doesn't sound like an expense; that sounds like an INVESTMENT! Your bride should be glad you made such a wise purchase, not only saving you so much money, but potentially giving you a handsome return on her hard-earned dollars.

Appreciatively,

Mark H.

Mark, I agree with you whole heartedly, I look at it as an investment.I am one of those guys that have bought things just to get by than kicking myself in the ass for not buying quality gear in the 1st place.I'm learning.......:D :D

harley96 said:

Mark, I agree with you whole heartedly, I look at it as an investment.I am one of those guys that have bought things just to get by than kicking myself in the ass for not buying quality gear in the 1st place.I'm learning.......:D :D

Ed (sonusman) always says, 'Buy cheap, buy twice.'

Well folks, I just picked up my hafler p1500 and like I said this guy takes care of his gear.I've already noticed how much cleaner this amp is compared to the ra100 not to mention the volume cranks!!!!!!!!Very,very,very happy......:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Back